View Single Post

Old 08-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

If Jon was making the music he wants to there wouldn't be any songs like Knockout or Limitless on the albums. People saying he isn't trying to chase a fad are just out of touch with popular pop & rock music. All that reverb and echo in nowadays Bon Jovi is "inspired" by Imagine Dragons. We Don't Run? That's just Katy Perry with guitars.

Bon Jovi used to incorporate the sound of popular rock bands into their own sound and they were pretty good at it too. They did it on These Days, they did it on Crush, Bounce, Have A Nice Day but with every new release songs got weaker and sounded less like Bon Jovi. All to make sure a song would wind up on the radio.

Nowadays it's no different. It's just that popular indie bands have a sound so far removed from what most Bon Jovi fans identify as rock music that Bon Jovi doesn't sound like Bon Jovi anymore either. Their target audience doesn't listen to pop radio. And the bands that do sound like the rock music a lot of Bon Jovi fans wish Bon Jovi would sound like are way too far removed from what Jon does want to make.

I feel it's a real shame because once these new songs are stripped from all the studio trickery and are given some room to breathe there's still some quality stuff out there. It might not've given them a hit but at least someone would still be listening to it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
I'd completely agree with you (which I don't very often), except for what I've heard of the 2020 album (bar Limitless of course, that's why I'd written "more into the former", not "totally"). Or can you name popular influences for songs like Unbroken and American Reckoning?

Sure, we still have to listen to the rest of the album, but if Limitless was the "more familiar" single for the fans, and Jon's written most of the tracks alone, I'd say this album is something different. Not neccessarily better IMO, but different from the last albums.