View Single Post

Old 03-13-2013, 04:15 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Default Aftermath VS What about now

a lot of you may say this is a pointless discussion and, in a way, you're probably right. We can't really compare Richie solo efforts to the mother lode. or can we ?
if you listen to one record straight after the other, you'll know what I mean. they're sonically different, their styles are different. production wise, they're different.
but it does make you think doesn't it ? how can a band effort sound so, erm... bland ? (i don't dislike it !) and than the guitarist's solo album sounds so soulful ?it's less overproduced, it's got balls, emotions, dynamics. the guitar sounds are amazing, the riffs are killer. the drum sound is way more interesting than the ones we hear on Jovi record. in fact, it seems that, sonically speaking, Bon Jovi have sounded the same since Crush. Maybe they can't figure out how to use that SSL desk properly at Jon's studio ?

Hell, I don't know. but it does put forth the question: how much was Richie involved in the making of the last Jovi album ? We've been discussing this a lot: a lot of people claim there was little involvement of the band, others say it's just a conspiracy theory. truth is, shouldn't Jovi albums sound like band albums ? How many songs are co-credited to Richie ? 4, 5 ?

Don't get me wrong: I'd love to see Bon Jovi live at least another 20 times until they call it a day. But, in all honesty, I could do without an album for a looooooooooooong time. they always claim they're taking some time off but it never really happens. surely, The Circle was released in 2009. Not 4 years ago, more like 3 years and a few months ago.
We all know they're not getting any younger. But in name of the music, I would prefer to hear another couple of Richie albums in the foreseeable future, rather than band's albums. In fact, Jon himself should put out another solo record. I really liked the tracks he wrote for the movie. he always looks happy doing those acoustic gigs. it suits him. people get old, people move on, people find different interests. It's pointless and deceiving to believe Bon Jovi will put on shows like they used to 'back in the 90's when Jon's voice was bla bla bla'.

Some people perpetuate their longevity. Or at least they stretch it beyond the limits. Like Springsteen or Steven Tyler. It happens that this isn't the case when it comes to Jon Bon Jovi. Go figure. blame it on whatever you want. but it is what it is.
I find it a bit painful to listen to Jon singing certain songs live nowadays. I'll tip my hat to him for trying. But it's not just a matter of vocal range. his voice has changed completely and doesn't seem to fit certain songs anymore.

There's little he can do about it, I'm afraid. I never heard of a miraculous surgery that makes you sound like you're 25 when you're in fact 51. I've suggested (not that the band will ever know about it anyways) that they should change the key on certain songs to accommodate Jon's 'new' voice. as the entrepreneur and CEO that he is, always so self aware of things, I'm pretty sure he's considered that exact same thing so, again, I tip my hat to him. the fact that he still sings in such high key means he's not THAT lazy. He still sound pretty decent on the records. But Richie sounded WAY better live on the last tour. Shouldn't Jon learn anything from that ?

Lisbon 2008; Lisbon 2011

Last edited by TheseDaysEra; 03-14-2013 at 01:02 AM..