View Single Post

Old 09-22-2022, 05:59 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
As far as "fresh blood" goes. It's not going to happen. These past 10 years have not been able to captured a newer generation. Not totally Jon's fault per say. Sure his grey hair, lost voice and lack of his right hand guitarist contributed to it but music has changed so much that unless you're married to a Kardashion or found some reality star loop-hole, you're just not appealing to a younger generation.
That’s not entirely true.

It’s true, that they haven’t managed to capture an entire generation or have proper mainstream success again, but there’s certainly a significant amount of teenagers out there who only discovered the band and became fans in more recent years.

You see it on social media sites like Twitter and Instagram (and probably also TikTok, although I can only assume that) - there has been a very noticeable increase in fan accounts run by teenagers during the past, let’s say, 2-3 years. It’s not the IML level of capturing a new generation, but the band still seems to be capable of reeling in “fresh blood”.

Also, I don’t think it’s fair to generalize the younger generation as “they’re all only interested in reality stars anyway”, because from what I’m seeing there are plenty of kids out there getting into rock (and other types of music that aren’t just “the artist is married to a Kardashian”) and the mainstream interest for it is clearly there, considering how many established artists are changing their sound to something more rocky and how many newcomer artists are incorporating rockier elements into their music as well.

I think one of the big things that are keeping Bon Jovi away from mainstream success nowadays (obvious issues like Jon’s voice aside) is just the fact, that they’re old. A lot of kids nowadays probably just think of them as that old band their parents (or even grandparents) are into and they’re too young to have grown up with the radio/media presence and success Bon Jovi still had during the 2000s and early 2010s.

It’s probably also a marketing issue. I guess with the revamped social media presence the band has had in more recent months they’re trying to appeal more to younger people, but I guess we won’t know for sure if it’s working until the band releases new music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk