View Single Post

Old 12-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Born to be my Baby

I agree.... except on two things - One, I think Roller Coaster is an awful song, and two, I don't see it resembling "The Middle" that much to say it's a rip off, but both songs are just standard run-of-the-mill bubblegum pop. However, thanks to you, I had to listen to RC once again to compare and now I'm sad.

My complaints are similar:
- The production is dreadful, and I believe that the songs could've been less awful with a right producer.
- Lyrics are tired, recycled, meaningless, and amateur at best on most songs.
- Jon's voice isn't right for this kind of music.
- Guitar work is non-existent, and it's evident that RS was the piece that gave this band an edge, something little that tied their new records to the past ones, and to their legacy. Phil is a great guitarist and could've filled in properly, but unfortunately it seems his only contribution on this record is in the pictures inside the sleeve.
- This would've made more sense if it were a solo Jon record, but it would still be terrible.

The band has been stagnant for a while, I think since like 2002 or so, but they still had some decent tunes on every record. Not this one tho, not in the standard format. If this thing could be made better, it would be by replacing some of the tracks with any of the 6-7 bonus tracks they released elsewhere. It would still be pop but I think it would be better. Bon Jovi have constantly omitted better songs off their records and released them as bonus tracks.

Jon wants to "evolve" and I commend that, but I don't think he's succeeded in that, he's just watered down, that's all. The entire music industry has stagnated in the digital age and there is little reward for being original or standing out. It doesn't matter if you try to fit in or stand out, the reception will be the same. That's why working with better producers, creating a proper, well-written rock record, full of guitars and whatever else this band was known for, would STILL give him a #1 record, and it would STILL drop off the charts in 2 weeks. He could put out an album of static and it would still sell. People buy Bon Jovi records because of the name printed on them, so why not sell something worth buying. The difference would be that the album wouldn't be forgotten so quickly.

I no longer consider them a rock band, simple as that, not even pop-rock. They HAD a few rock songs here and there (and most likely thanks to RS's input), but as of this record that's gone away.

My Bon Jovi Album Ranking: These Days, SWW, KTF, Jersey, Crush, 7800F, Bridges, HAND, Bon Jovi, Bounce, WAN, Circle, THINFS, LH, 2020;