View Single Post

Old 10-01-2020, 07:58 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvistico View Post
Well, KTF will also and forever be my favourite BJ album. But I just because there practically are not 'fillers' on that album. Of course you can't release 13 singles of an album and they DID release the strongest songs
They didn't just release the strongest songs. They released the first 4 songs and then tried to release 2 more which both tanked compared to the other 4. The gap between I Believe and Dry County was 7 months. The gap between Dry County and Always is 4 months. It's easy to say that those who hadn't bought the Keep The Faith album would've thought Dry County was a new song of a new album and it still did nothing. Fans like it, others don't. It's shows off "our" band, but besides Bon Jovi fans no one cares for that song. Take out the mid section and all everyone else will hear is an average song going nowhere. It's not bad, but it's not very good either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvistico View Post
It's all personal. Perhaps there will be kids who'll say 2020 is the best record they've ever heard. Could be. For someone who just picks up on Bon Jovi, hears this record and thinks : this is exactly my cup of tea. Who knows.
But that's the thing, you're saying it's personal while an objective reviewer will just point out the facts saying it's either not very original, vocals are weak, lyrics are simplistic, guitar work is great. There's nothing personal about it and it's up to a listener whether he'll appreciate more of the same or will skip rehashed metaphors and melodies. I've no idea why this is so hard to understand for so many Bon Jovi fans. They often get so defensive when "their" music isn't liked upon release while the same fans will shelve a new album as well albeit just a little bit later than a casual listener.

All songs you mentioned never show up on any compilations or best offs made by fans. I like most songs you mentioned but I know I like them because I'm a fan. You won't win over any people by playing Fear or Save A Prayer but play the singles of the same record and they're almost universally liked. Rank Keep The Faith from best to worse and everyone will put the same batch of songs last. There's a reason why everybody thinks Bed Of Roses is great and Thank You For Loving Me isn't. Why people, despite supposedly adoring every song on the Keep The Faith record, instantly forget the existance of I Want You. Sure, there's people who like all of those, but they're the exception and almost certainly a fan of the band anyway, familiar with the sound.

The same goes for reviews, they're catered towards people who aren't as invested as you and me are in the band. Those who don't wear Bon Jovi couloured glasses and are able to judge it for what it is.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan