View Single Post

Old 12-09-2010, 01:07 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

I'm sorry all, don't mean to sound smart or anything but a well mastered Vinyl IS better than CD. I'm a recording engineer and there are some facts you should probably know.

Most commercial music nowadays is either recorded digitally or using the best of both world (that is, using both analog and digital means). by recording digitally I don't mean your avarage audio interface. I'm talking about high priced A/D converters (Analogue to digital). Bon Jovi make use of an SSL analgoue mixer which then goes into the converters and into Pro Tools. I assume their sessions, being the band they are, are recorded at a sample rate of 192kHz, 24 bit. After the mix is done and that final mix is mastered by a mastering engineer, it always has to end up at a maximum sample rate of 44.1kHz/16bit, which is the standard for CD. in this conversion, something called Dither is used to prevent data being loss in the downgrade of quality. As with vinyl, there is no need for such downgrade of the quality as the medium it uses is not digital.

Don't get me wrong, vinyl DOES have its limitations but assuming that the mastering is done by a decent engineer in a decent mastering studio, CD is NOWHERE better than Vinyl, so keep your wikis in your pocket.

Lisbon 2008; Lisbon 2011