View Single Post

Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra View Post
I'm sorry all, don't mean to sound smart or anything but a well mastered Vinyl IS better than CD. I'm a recording engineer and there are some facts you should probably know.
Yeah, you should know better.

Quote:
After the mix is done and that final mix is mastered by a mastering engineer, it always has to end up at a maximum sample rate of 44.1kHz/16bit, which is the standard for CD. in this conversion, something called Dither is used to prevent data being loss in the downgrade of quality. As with vinyl, there is no need for such downgrade of the quality as the medium it uses is not digital.
The trouble is that the VINYL isn't capable of saving the information. It's just not possible with vinyl, because there isn't enough "finesse" or what ever you want to call it in the material itself. It's capable of saving the information at the better quality, no matter what you try. And each and every time you listen to the record, the needle of the player scratches away bits and pieces of the vinyl so it degrades constantly. Not that it was ever as good as the CD to begin with.

Just read the article I posted, it has a very detailed test and review of both vinyl and CD.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, vinyl DOES have its limitations but assuming that the mastering is done by a decent engineer in a decent mastering studio, CD is NOWHERE better than Vinyl, so keep your wikis in your pocket.
It's basic physics. Vinyl is mechanical, CD is digital. CD has it's limitations as well, but it's well documented that the human ear can't hear that well, so it doesn't really matter. As to vinyl, the material, the way the soundwave is saved onto it and the way it's played makes it impossible for vinyl to ever be technically as good as a CD.

The sound a vinyl makes is a different thing, that is a matter of personal preference. Some like the "warmer" sound and the cracks and pops which every vinyl album will make when played back. No matter how good your equipment is. Again, it's just physics.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.