View Single Post

Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Yeah, you should know better.

It's basic physics. Vinyl is mechanical, CD is digital. CD has it's limitations as well, but it's well documented that the human ear can't hear that well, so it doesn't really matter. As to vinyl, the material, the way the soundwave is saved onto it and the way it's played makes it impossible for vinyl to ever be technically as good as a CD.

The sound a vinyl makes is a different thing, that is a matter of personal preference. Some like the "warmer" sound and the cracks and pops which every vinyl album will make when played back. No matter how good your equipment is. Again, it's just physics.

Ice
Ice is correct here - even the width of the grooves in vinyl is an average and a best scenario approximation. That's before even considering the quality of the needle used for playback and how much damage it does every time the record is played.

Digital is cleaner sound which some people interpret as harsh as compared to vinyl. I have a friend who insists that vinyl sounds better. He works at a very high end audio store selling very expensive audio equipment. So a few years ago we had an A / B blind listening test at my house. I have a very high end bi-amped audio system (purchased from the same friend). My friend brought over his precious vinyl and we cued up the CD player and the record at the same spot and ran them through two separate but identical Bryston pre-amps. He guessed wrong about which was playing almost every time. By the end of the evening he finally had to conclude that yes, CDs could sound as good as vinyl.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.