Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

New Fan Club Package Updates

New Bon Jovi Releases


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1781  
Old 12-03-2021, 01:09 AM
blazeofglory's Avatar
blazeofglory blazeofglory is online now
Senior Member
Next 100 Posts
 
Join Date: 01 Jun 2021
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I'm fairly certain the info came from the liner notes but:

Shanks did acoustic on Do What You Can, Story of Love, Let it Rain, Lower The Flag, Blood in the Water, Brothers in Arms, Unbroken, Luv Can and Shine.

Both Shanks and Phil doing electric guitar on: Limitless, Do What You Can, Beautiful Drug, Let it Rain, Lower The Flag, Blood in the Water, Brothers in Arms, Unbroken, Luv Can and Shine.

Just Shanks on Electric: Story of Love and Shine
Ah thank you! My CD booklet doesn't have individual song credits in it though
Reply With Quote
  #1782  
Old 12-03-2021, 01:40 AM
Rdkopper's Avatar
Rdkopper Rdkopper is offline
Senior Member
The Distance
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 8,200
Default

This is a first I'm hearing of this.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
__________________
World’s Most Professional Bon Jovi Fan!!!
Reply With Quote
  #1783  
Old 12-03-2021, 02:06 AM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 37
Gender: male
Posts: 12,746
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/new-b...st1268163.html

Enjoy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #1784  
Old 12-03-2021, 02:50 AM
Rdkopper's Avatar
Rdkopper Rdkopper is offline
Senior Member
The Distance
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 8,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Having a nod on liner notes doesn't really provide much info of anything. Shanks is listed on every song as the second guy under Jon with the following:

Producer, Associated Performer, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Organ, Keyboards, Background Vocalist: John Shanks

I think past interviews give a more telling story...

We all know that Phil was in Nashville during the recording and really talked up his beautiful drug solo which is nothing more than subpar. He made mention that his involvement was very minimal.

Shanks is the guy writing the music and playing the leads... I think Phil is invited to make him feel more part of the band and also learn the solos so when John stops touring, he can take over...

This is a Phil / Alec situation coming full circle.





Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
__________________
World’s Most Professional Bon Jovi Fan!!!
Reply With Quote
  #1785  
Old 12-03-2021, 03:23 AM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 37
Gender: male
Posts: 12,746
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Having a nod on liner notes doesn't really provide much info of anything. Shanks is listed on every song as the second guy under Jon with the following:

Producer, Associated Performer, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Organ, Keyboards, Background Vocalist: John Shanks

I think past interviews give a more telling story...

We all know that Phil was in Nashville during the recording and really talked up his beautiful drug solo which is nothing more than subpar. He made mention that his involvement was very minimal.

Shanks is the guy writing the music and playing the leads... I think Phil is invited to make him feel more part of the band and also learn the solos so when John stops touring, he can take over...

This is a Phil / Alec situation coming full circle.





Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
Look closer, the role Shanks plays on each song changes based on the song (mandolin on Lower the Flag, no acoustic guitar on Limitless.

The guitar solos weren't recorded in Nashville btw. The bed tracks were and then built upon throughout studios after the fact. I'm not sure why you're bringing that up, Phil clearly plays the BD solo so what's your point there?

I hear what you're saying about Alec but....no. Not by a long shot. All liner notes back then protected the band, Drums: Tico. Bass: Alec. Guitars: Richie. Cut and dry. These notes are insanely specific to the point of showing what songs David DIDN'T play on. Why would they do that and fluff up Phil's role when you can hear him panned right in the mix on the exact songs it says he's on and then hear him absent on the songs it says he's not?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #1786  
Old 12-03-2021, 03:56 AM
Rdkopper's Avatar
Rdkopper Rdkopper is offline
Senior Member
The Distance
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 8,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Look closer, the role Shanks plays on each song changes based on the song (mandolin on Lower the Flag, no acoustic guitar on Limitless.



The guitar solos weren't recorded in Nashville btw. The bed tracks were and then built upon throughout studios after the fact. I'm not sure why you're bringing that up, Phil clearly plays the BD solo so what's your point there?



I hear what you're saying about Alec but....no. Not by a long shot. All liner notes back then protected the band, Drums: Tico. Bass: Alec. Guitars: Richie. Cut and dry. These notes are insanely specific to the point of showing what songs David DIDN'T play on. Why would they do that and fluff up Phil's role when you can hear him panned right in the mix on the exact songs it says he's on and then hear him absent on the songs it says he's not?
I really don't feel like shifting through old Phil interviews but 2020 was not that long ago and I remember specific interviews when downplayed his role on the new album (2020)...

If he's not involved with the creative process and brought in after the fact, common sense prevails.

He came in as a session player which totally makes sense considering the fact that he is the touring guitarist. And that's pretty much what Dave and Tico are too now...






Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
__________________
World’s Most Professional Bon Jovi Fan!!!
Reply With Quote
  #1787  
Old 12-03-2021, 04:27 AM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 37
Gender: male
Posts: 12,746
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
I really don't feel like shifting through old Phil interviews but 2020 was not that long ago and I remember specific interviews when downplayed his role on the new album (2020)...

If he's not involved with the creative process and brought in after the fact, common sense prevails.

He came in as a session player which totally makes sense considering the fact that he is the touring guitarist. And that's pretty much what Dave and Tico are too now...






Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
But how is he brought in after the fact? If he's there in Nashville, there adding guitar parts after and credited as being on the album and audible he's there for every step of the process minus co-writing the songs, hence the downplaying of his stuff.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #1788  
Old 12-03-2021, 04:32 AM
YOVANAfromPeru's Avatar
YOVANAfromPeru YOVANAfromPeru is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Freak
 
Join Date: 22 Oct 2017
Age: 34
Gender: female
Posts: 3,433
Default

Phil X (2020):
1. "It’s funny because I’m a guy sitting in the background going 'why has this been delayed?' If there was a time that people need something new and something to embrace, it’s now. But at the same time, Jon wrote two new songs. We just recorded these new songs a couple months ago and he wanted to include them on this record. Then one thing that goes hand in hand with the release in a mega-band like Bon Jovi is touring and supporting that record, which nobody knows when that’s going to happen. That may explain the delay for two reasons.
I think Jon’s always been a visionary, but I really saw it come together with this record. This record was the first record that I was involved in from the ground up. We were in Nashville last March for 11 days and we laid down all the band tracks. Then Jon picked his favorite ten and those songs were [given] vocals, more guitar, more piano, keys and percussion. We’re all singing backgrounds. It was a really amazing process to be a witness to. The solo in Beautiful Drug is my 16 seconds of danger (laughs) amongst Jon’s vision. He had a lot to say lyrically and he had a lot to exude emotionally. You know how everybody says 'I wish I could be a fly on the wall?' I was a fly on the wall that put down a killer solo (laughs)."
2. "It's a short cool solo."
3. "Jon had it all mapped out. Lyrically and musically, he had something to say. We all got into the studio last year and recorded the bed tracks over a period of 11 days. Then Jon went over his favorites and we finished the songs and shot two videos. There’s a particular solo on one of the songs, Beautiful Drug, that I’m really proud of.
Jon is such a visionary and knows exactly what he’s looking for. I’ve been a session guy for so long that I know the vocal lyric is king, and as a guitar player in the studio it’s my job to bring that to life."
4. "The solo in 'Beautiful Drug' is my 16 seconds of danger amongst Jon's vision."
__________________
Jon Bon Jovi said about this selfie: "That's a good one!!". U_U morí!
Reply With Quote
  #1789  
Old 12-03-2021, 05:46 AM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 37
Gender: male
Posts: 12,746
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

--> Band meets in Nashville
--> Jon brings in scrappy iPhone recording demos
--> Every one works on their parts and the bed tracks are recorded
--> Additional instruments and things are tweaked in the overdub stage

Why are Tico and Dave's parts being questioned? Shanks barely wrote for the album, everyone wrote their own parts and built the songs bed tracks. Sure I'd prefer it if David did ALL the key parts and Shanks backed off performing but there's no real debate here, the band got together and did the majority of the tracks together.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #1790  
Old 12-05-2021, 06:28 AM
YOVANAfromPeru's Avatar
YOVANAfromPeru YOVANAfromPeru is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Freak
 
Join Date: 22 Oct 2017
Age: 34
Gender: female
Posts: 3,433
Default

JON BON JOVI
MUSIC VIDEO COMMENTARY
BED OF ROSES
He says he used to spend a lot of money on videos, that his sneak skin suit was real sneak skin. The legs wouldn't bend. He still have it, but definitelly he couldn't wear it.
Then he said in Spanish "La cama de rosas."
__________________
Jon Bon Jovi said about this selfie: "That's a good one!!". U_U morí!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.