View Single Post

Old 05-01-2021, 08:58 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

But if that were true then surely nowadays people would've pointed out the similarities in the older songs as well?

These Days sounds like the mid-nineties but is a mix of various influences as much as Crush is a mix of what was popular late nineties. But the rockers on Bounce, in a nutshell, sound pretty much like Creed meets Linkin Park. Instead of copying the sound of an era they've started copying the sound of the 3 most popular bands.

I think this is why it's not as easy to come up with as many similar songs for the first 6 records as it is for everything that's followed since. Sure, it's happened in the past as well. Last Man Standing is a copy of Turn The Page as much as Bitter Wine is a copy of Shooting Star. Never Say Goodbye is a Southside Johnny song. Yes, Hearts Breaking Even is essentially a rewrite of Aerosmith's Cryin' but you can't sing the melody of Cryin' over Hearts Breakin' Even like you can sing It's My Life over and over and over again on close to 10 songs that've followed that one. With 2020 you can almost song for song say what "inspired" Jon to come up with this stuff. You just can't do the same with the older records.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
The songs post 2000 got lazier, yeah. It's gotten worse, I'm not denying any of that but I still think they were called out on it less in the first six records for trend-chasing without social media. They did it in a more organic way but it's still the same idea.

But it's also like....who is listening to the album tracks if the singles are bombing? They should have gotten a world of hell for re-writing How Far We've Come in Beautiful World but no one got far enough in the album to even care. Singles, I totally get, but album cuts are a strange place to rip off hit songs.