View Single Post

Old 12-02-2021, 02:08 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
But you can hear him clear as day on the tracks he's credited as playing on 2020 (everything but Shine, American Reckoning, Story of Love) I don't think it makes sense to give him credits as playing on these songs if he wasn't.

What I will say about this era is...it's finally honest in the credits. Shanks plays piano here, David plays organ there, Phil's not on this song, Dave's on this song.

But the idea that Shanks is this mastermind that is writing the music....nah. This is the least amount of Shanks co-writes we've gotten on a record in awhile and one of his better produced ones. If Shanks was behind the scenes presenting the songs to Jon on 2020, the other songs would sound more like his style and the ones that do ABSOLUTELY do. Just my thoughts.
Hear him vocally or guitar?

Regardless, he was obviously involved with some of the recording and backing vocals... And for good reason if Jon wants to put him on the album cover... But his input is probably no more than Dave or Ticos...

As far as song development goes:
I truly think that Jon gives Shanks a final acoustic version of a song with no real direction. Maybe a basic medley (We heard songs like Reunion, Do What You Can, Working Man all prior to album releases) and then Shanks takes over from there. He's the guy who develops the song structure including writing most of the instruments. He also co writes lyrics with Jon too...He is way more Richie Part 2 than Phil is... but at the same time, he was doing most of that while Richie was still in the band. He just took on more of it since Richie left.

Like Shanks or not, he is a musical genius in his own right.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk