View Single Post

Old 12-03-2021, 03:23 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Having a nod on liner notes doesn't really provide much info of anything. Shanks is listed on every song as the second guy under Jon with the following:

Producer, Associated Performer, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Organ, Keyboards, Background Vocalist: John Shanks

I think past interviews give a more telling story...

We all know that Phil was in Nashville during the recording and really talked up his beautiful drug solo which is nothing more than subpar. He made mention that his involvement was very minimal.

Shanks is the guy writing the music and playing the leads... I think Phil is invited to make him feel more part of the band and also learn the solos so when John stops touring, he can take over...

This is a Phil / Alec situation coming full circle.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
Look closer, the role Shanks plays on each song changes based on the song (mandolin on Lower the Flag, no acoustic guitar on Limitless.

The guitar solos weren't recorded in Nashville btw. The bed tracks were and then built upon throughout studios after the fact. I'm not sure why you're bringing that up, Phil clearly plays the BD solo so what's your point there?

I hear what you're saying about Alec but....no. Not by a long shot. All liner notes back then protected the band, Drums: Tico. Bass: Alec. Guitars: Richie. Cut and dry. These notes are insanely specific to the point of showing what songs David DIDN'T play on. Why would they do that and fluff up Phil's role when you can hear him panned right in the mix on the exact songs it says he's on and then hear him absent on the songs it says he's not?