Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

New Fan Club Package Updates

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 04-15-2021, 05:12 PM
Livin' on a Post

Another thought, talking about vaults...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...er/frank-zappa

I was a backer on this HUGE Frank Zappa campaign which was mainly for saving (video part) of his vault. They did also make a movie of him which was just recently released.

I was on a track where it was promised to have an access to "digital vault". Of course I wanted NEW MUSIC. And in my (and others too) mind the vault was to be full of complete unreleased live shows at least. Well, it wasnt. They did make "the digital vault" but it was basically bits and pieces of random stuff compiled rather quickly.

So it was a bummer. But still, I'm glad I supported and will also be getting the "backers only" blu-ray of the film.

Like Captain-Jovi mentioned the fan spectrum here is too wide for a "general" campaign. I myself only want 80s stuff. Or early early 90s. Its a bummer they did not release Hammersmith at the time as it was intended: video/audio for charity. But AT LEAST the show has edge & great performance so Bongiovi (though hating his past) could actually consider and release it. multicamera, already mixed, B&W, Jimmy Page visiting etc...

I actually thought about joining "jbj experience" but maybe I just wait and see. And lets not forget the campaign which was announced in 2013 but SADLY never went further than New Jersey 2Cd+DVD combo:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/new-r...of-new-jersey/

"More 30 Anniversary commemorative titles, including newly-compiled collections of studio and live recordings, will also be released this year. "

So lets see if this "JBJ experience" has the longevity to really DELIVER.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:32 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuli View Post
Another thought, talking about vaults...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...er/frank-zappa

I was a backer on this HUGE Frank Zappa campaign which was mainly for saving (video part) of his vault. They did also make a movie of him which was just recently released.

I was on a track where it was promised to have an access to "digital vault". Of course I wanted NEW MUSIC. And in my (and others too) mind the vault was to be full of complete unreleased live shows at least. Well, it wasnt. They did make "the digital vault" but it was basically bits and pieces of random stuff compiled rather quickly.

So it was a bummer. But still, I'm glad I supported and will also be getting the "backers only" blu-ray of the film.

Like Captain-Jovi mentioned the fan spectrum here is too wide for a "general" campaign. I myself only want 80s stuff. Or early early 90s. Its a bummer they did not release Hammersmith at the time as it was intended: video/audio for charity. But AT LEAST the show has edge & great performance so Bongiovi (though hating his past) could actually consider and release it. multicamera, already mixed, B&W, Jimmy Page visiting etc...

I actually thought about joining "jbj experience" but maybe I just wait and see. And lets not forget the campaign which was announced in 2013 but SADLY never went further than New Jersey 2Cd+DVD combo:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/new-r...of-new-jersey/

"More 30 Anniversary commemorative titles, including newly-compiled collections of studio and live recordings, will also be released this year. "

So lets see if this "JBJ experience" has the longevity to really DELIVER.
Sadly I believe I heard it didn't go further because of sales. I'm not entirely sure if the lack of promotion was due to Jon not wanting to re-visit the past, the band being inactive after the tour (considering that album/tour cycle just about broke up the band so I can see him not wanting them to go right back out after pulling them off hiatus for a tour) or Richie's status in the band. Funky timing aside it's really sad it didn't work out. I would have loved them to leapfrog things. Release an album and tour every few years, put out a killer retrospective in the meantime. It'll wake up the older fans and maybe convert some (few but some) to show the band is still around.

I think you made an interesting point about what you personally want out it. You take the pie chart of the fan base, the sliver of the hardcores, and fragment them further with the ones who just want the 80's, the one ones who want the 90's and even fewer of the ones that want post 2000. How do you monetize it? Their best bet was to do an online vault with paid access, little to no overhead. But people are going to share it rendering it useless so hell. I dont know.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:45 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Sadly I believe I heard it didn't go further because of sales. I'm not entirely sure if the lack of promotion was due to Jon not wanting to re-visit the past, the band being inactive after the tour (considering that album/tour cycle just about broke up the band so I can see him not wanting them to go right back out after pulling them off hiatus for a tour) or Richie's status in the band. Funky timing aside it's really sad it didn't work out. I would have loved them to leapfrog things. Release an album and tour every few years, put out a killer retrospective in the meantime. It'll wake up the older fans and maybe convert some (few but some) to show the band is still around.
I do feel that the timing was wrong with this, and I kinda feel like Jon sabotaged it a bit by refusing to promote it.

The Stones deluxe editions have taken their albums back to no.1. Def Leppard have gone top 5 with Hysteria just a couple of years ago. Generally, repackaging deluxe editions of old albums currently has a huge market. I fail to understand why Bon Jovi couldn't make this work. A Super deluxe Slippery alone would have huge sales potential IF promoted properly....

Last edited by Thinny; 04-15-2021 at 08:47 PM..
Old 04-15-2021, 08:50 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

The reason why this works for other bands is that other bands understand the admiration people have for their work. It's a pride both the band and its fanbase share. So bands are willing to share their passion by releasing things they feel is worthy of releasing. They understand why people love the old stuff because they feel the same pride.

Meanwhile Jon Bon Jovi's sole purpose of releasing music is to be able to go on tour to make money to buy a football team or be important at other stuff. Jon Bon Jovi doesn't care for the music he releases anymore. He says he's proud of it but once it tanks his opinion on it changes radically.

Fans from the eighties music are seen as a nuisance. Fans of the other stuff are seen as people who are "wrong" as they're not longing for the supposedly culturally relevant albums like The Circle or 2020. Jon Bon Jovi isn't proud of These Days. Doesn't really understand the music he's made as he's completely cancelled out the band effort that made the band big. He's all about his "Vision". He pats himself on the back for completely different reasons that fans feel are things to be proud of (A Grammy for Who Says, a cross-over hit, selling out stadiums, being inducted in the hall of fame).

Jon Bon Jovi wants to brag about the 150.000.000 album he's sold but ultimately really cares about the 1.000.000 no one cares for nowadays. The fanbase and its opinion on the band are polar opposites of what Jon thinks the band is about. So you're getting live versions of hits and re-releases of albums you rarely listen. And as long as Jon Bon Jovi will look down on past efforts and refuses to talk to fans who do follow his career in the great detail he wishes critics do there's no chance he'll ever release something interesting for die hards.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 04-15-2021, 09:06 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

The reason why this works for other bands is that other bands understand the admiration people have for their work. It's a pride both the band and its fanbase share. So bands are willing to share their passion by releasing things they feel is worthy of releasing. They understand why people love the old stuff because they feel the same pride.

Meanwhile Jon Bon Jovi's sole purpose of releasing music is to be able to go on tour to make money to buy a football team or be important at other stuff. Jon Bon Jovi doesn't care for the music he releases anymore. He says he's proud of it but once it tanks his opinion on it changes radically.

Fans from the eighties music are seen as a nuisance. Fans of the other stuff are seen as people who are "wrong" as they're not longing for the supposedly culturally relevant albums like The Circle or 2020. Jon Bon Jovi isn't proud of These Days. Doesn't really understand the music he's made as he's completely cancelled out the band effort that made the band big. He's all about his "Vision". He pats himself on the back for completely different reasons that fans feel are things to be proud of (A Grammy for Who Says, a cross-over hit, selling out stadiums, being inducted in the hall of fame).

Jon Bon Jovi wants to brag about the 150.000.000 album he's sold but ultimately really cares about the 1.000.000 no one cares for nowadays. The fanbase and its opinion on the band are polar opposites of what Jon thinks the band is about. So you're getting live versions of hits and re-releases of albums you rarely listen. And as long as Jon Bon Jovi will look down on past efforts and refuses to talk to fans who do follow his career in the great detail he wishes critics do there's no chance he'll ever release something interesting for die hards.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Nothing else I can say here, this is pretty bang-on. You can hear him in that recent Songwriters interview he gets so giddy someone is asking him questions about the songs when he's curated this reality himself. By answering questions the same way about Richie not wanting Sinatra, how Do What You Can was written and being a witness to history, It's My Life was about him wanting to act and sing, he never wanted Prayer on the album....It's really hard to listen to him be dissatisfied no one talks about the songs when he's been so focussed on the polar opposite site of the spectrum that are so happy to get a hat with the band's name on it or a bottle of wine.

Put in the effort, massage the fan base a little, it was an entire year you couldn't promote the album...imagine if the time had been used to to hire a video production team. Put old stuff out, get people talking, start conversations. He got really close with the video of him rediscovering old footage. That's a thimble of what the Experience could have and should have been. If one side of the fan base is happy to get pretty much anything, imagine how psyched WE'D be to get some cool, rare insights. A demo for a song, a studio outtake, whatever it is.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:54 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
Generally, repackaging deluxe editions of old albums currently has a huge market. I fail to understand why Bon Jovi couldn't make this work. A Super deluxe Slippery alone would have huge sales potential IF promoted properly....
Yes. Create neat package with cool extras (audio/video wise maybe some *stuff* also) from any popular classic rock album from the 70s or 80s and you will most certainly make great profit. Why? Because if one was 12 between 1970-1990 they're now 43-63 and able to invest on those expensive super deluxe editions of their most beloved records.

And there's nothing wrong with that! Again: Metallica, they were calling fans for material to include on those super deluxes! To get something like "Richie Sambora riff tape 1985-1986" compilation would FU**ING BLOW MY MIND. And that's exactly what Metallica super deluxes have from James'!!

There's still time to make that Slippery super deluxe. This year for 35th or 2026 for 40th Anniversary!

BTW I thoroughly enjoy listening to Slippery When Wet 5.1 surround mix. That's something they did right! Extended intros/outros/solos and stuff is heard from beginning to the end!

Last edited by rokuli; 04-15-2021 at 10:00 PM..
Old 04-16-2021, 08:26 AM
Price of posting

Default New Fan Club Package Updates

Jon started doing something very cool which was reviewing the bands albums on Twitter and Instagram.....but stopped. I guess he doesn’t have 30 seconds a day free anymore....in lockdown.

Something as easy as that he can’t be bothered to do even for the fan club. It would go down amazingly with the fans.

How great would it be for the JBJ experience members to get Jon talking for 15-30 mins about each album. Going into the details of the songs, the stories and decisions on what made the albums and what didn’t and why. What he would change, what he still likes and doesn’t.

But he doesn’t seem interested in the fan of 30+ years it’s all about the the ones who love everything he does no matter how crap it turns out to be.

2020 tanked (his own words) and now he has to change direction again but he knows that the fan who loves everything will lap it up even if he released a swing or rap album.

The diehard doesn’t exist in Jon’s world. But there’s a reason he’s lost most of the fan base. The diehards get no reward for being loyal.

A deluxe SWW or KTF would be phenomenal even if released to fan club members only but Jon’s not interested and it doesn’t matter if David and Tico are. It’s the Jbj experience and their input is not required. Jon currently scratching around for more junk to go in the next bj box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo

Last edited by steel_horse75; 04-16-2021 at 08:30 AM..
Old 04-16-2021, 03:21 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
Jon started doing something very cool which was reviewing the bands albums on Twitter and Instagram.....but stopped. I guess he doesn’t have 30 seconds a day free anymore....in lockdown.

Something as easy as that he can’t be bothered to do even for the fan club. It would go down amazingly with the fans.

How great would it be for the JBJ experience members to get Jon talking for 15-30 mins about each album. Going into the details of the songs, the stories and decisions on what made the albums and what didn’t and why. What he would change, what he still likes and doesn’t.

But he doesn’t seem interested in the fan of 30+ years it’s all about the the ones who love everything he does no matter how crap it turns out to be.

2020 tanked (his own words) and now he has to change direction again but he knows that the fan who loves everything will lap it up even if he released a swing or rap album.

The diehard doesn’t exist in Jon’s world. But there’s a reason he’s lost most of the fan base. The diehards get no reward for being loyal.

A deluxe SWW or KTF would be phenomenal even if released to fan club members only but Jon’s not interested and it doesn’t matter if David and Tico are. It’s the Jbj experience and their input is not required. Jon currently scratching around for more junk to go in the next bj box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pretty much agreed. Though where did he say 2020 tanked?
Old 04-16-2021, 04:28 PM
Price of posting

Sorry, He said in interview with Gary Kemp that DWYC tanked and no one would play it.
But let's be honest 2020 tanked as well.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 04-16-2021, 04:42 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
Sorry, He said in interview with Gary Kemp that DWYC tanked and no one would play it.
But let's be honest 2020 tanked as well.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
His point was it tanked at country radio, that's a completely different point.

But yeah, the album tanked. He still thinks it did well which is just baffling.