Home Register Members FAQ

New Music on the way!

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 02-11-2018, 11:05 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
I get that Jackie, but I honestly don't think Richie will be happy in the band while he is still being treated like a hired hand. I believe that he felt pushed out by Jon and Shanks' newfound partnership. And I think he felt like he was more important to the band than he was being given credit for. If he went back, I think it would be back to how it was before he left, which yeah, it would be better than things are now for the band, but I don't think it would for Richie.
What's always made me wonder is how Richie was all over The Circle, co-writing every single song and you can hear his playing/writing style throughout yet they needed a studio guitar player for What Do Ya Got. I don't know if I believe his hold on the band was slipping if he's that much of a presence on an album, and then not be used for a band track a year or so later, you know?

And The Circle was only one album before What About Now which didn't have much Richie at all so I see that viewpoint from 2011 forward but he was a big big big part of the 2005 - 2010 albums.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:11 PM
Something for the Posts

I know that people always say that The Circle is a Richie album, but I don't hear it! I know he co-wrote every track, but none of them really sound like Richie tracks to me. More like Jon tracks that Richie contributed to somehow. I might be completely wrong, but you know, if it was that much of a Richie album then you'd think he would play at least something from that at his solo or RSO shows. While he's played stuff from Crush, Bounce and Have A Nice Day, he's never touched any material after that....

Lost Highway is the last record that I could actually hear Richie's influence on...

Last edited by Thinny; 02-11-2018 at 11:14 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 11:42 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
What's always made me wonder is how Richie was all over The Circle, co-writing every single song and you can hear his playing/writing style throughout yet they needed a studio guitar player for What Do Ya Got. I don't know if I believe his hold on the band was slipping if he's that much of a presence on an album, and then not be used for a band track a year or so later, you know?

And The Circle was only one album before What About Now which didn't have much Richie at all so I see that viewpoint from 2011 forward but he was a big big big part of the 2005 - 2010 albums.
What Do You Got demo is Richie, but What Do you Got final version from GH have some guitar arrangements added by Phil.

When these songs were re-recorded, the band worked for two weeks, and then they went on vacation, so Jon kept working with Shanks in the mixs, Jon want change the sound of guitars or add something more, and since Richie was not available, they finally chose to call a session guitarist to add some parts. That guitarist was Phil.

The absence of Richie and the impatience of Jon was the cause in that recording.

The original solo is extended.

As Richie played on live.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 02-11-2018 at 11:45 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 11:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Quote:

I think his reliability had been in question for years. Remember the intervention they did after a performance that was to be aired to promote Lost Highway? Also, remember that Phil was on retainer to show up at a moment’s notice before The Circle tour even started. It appears that the band was hoping for the best and preparing for the worst for quite a while.

But don’t lose perspective. Richie leaving the band is not really the worst that could happen. Someone dying would be much worse. And I don’t limit that someone to Richie. Tico had two emergency surgeries that tour. Jon had surgery that tour. Anesthesia can kill anyone. No guarantees, no matter how simple a procedure is for the doctor.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:53 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
What Do You Got demo is Richie, but What Do you Got final version from GH have some guitar arrangements added by Phil.

When these songs were re-recorded, the band worked for two weeks, and then they went on vacation, so Jon kept working with Shanks in the mixs, Jon want change the sound of guitars or add something more, and since Richie was not available, they finally chose to call a session guitarist to add some parts. That guitarist was Phil.

The absence of Richie and the impatience of Jon was the cause in that recording.
See here's the problem.....you're talking with a lot of authority to make Jon the root of the problem when Shanks didn't produce the song, Howard Benson did. So are you going on theory or are you basing on this an interview or something?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:10 AM
These Days

Quote:
I get that Jackie, but I honestly don't think Richie will be happy in the band while he is still being treated like a hired hand. I believe that he felt pushed out by Jon and Shanks' newfound partnership. And I think he felt like he was more important to the band than he was being given credit for. If he went back, I think it would be back to how it was before he left, which yeah, it would be better than things are now for the band, but I don't think it would for Richie. Richie is somewhat of a control freak, and Jon is a major one, and I believe that Richie felt his control slipping away and therefore, began to lose interest in the band's new material. Unless Jon decided to let Richie back in in the level on that he used to be in the late 80's to early 2000's, which I can't see happening, then it would be doomed to fail. With RSO the control is pretty much his, and he can live or die by his own sword...yes, it's a partnership, but I can't see Ori challenging Richie's decisions that much. I do think Richie enjoy's that freedom...
Sorry, I should have clarified. That the band would operate as a band, like they seemed to function in the beginning - the 5-fingered fist Jon talked about in the box set DVD - is a given. To me, that is an understood part of "the magic of making music together and playing to each other's strengths."

I remember somewhere Jon was quoted as saying that Richie wanted to go back to the 80s and that wasn't going to happen. Some assumed that he meant that Richie wanted them to write songs like Bad Medicine again and Jon wasn't going to do that. I could be wrong, but I thought what going "back to the 80s" meant to Richie was more about how they functioned as a songwriting team and as a band. All that stuff that Jon realized after Richie left about writing together and recording with everybody together in the studio, more band input, all that.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:13 AM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified. That the band would operate as a band, like they seemed to function in the beginning - the 5-fingered fist Jon talked about in the box set DVD - is a given. To me, that is an understood part of "the magic of making music together and playing to each other's strengths."

I remember somewhere Jon was quoted as saying that Richie wanted to go back to the 80s and that wasn't going to happen. Some assumed that he meant that Richie wanted them to write songs like Bad Medicine again and Jon wasn't going to do that. I could be wrong, but I thought what going "back to the 80s" meant to Richie was more about how they functioned as a songwriting team and as a band. All that stuff that Jon realized after Richie left about writing together and recording with everybody together in the studio, more band input, all that.
I would love to find that interview. It was part of an interview Bon Jovi files claim they had from unused interview footage that they claimed they had access to but then they claimed they had Mona Lisa and would auction it off so I don't know how legit it is. I think some board member said they were getting it sent to them. Hmm I need to go looking.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:22 AM
These Days

Quote:
I would love to find that interview. It was part of an interview Bon Jovi files claim they had from unused interview footage that they claimed they had access to but then they claimed they had Mona Lisa and would auction it off so I don't know how legit it is. I think some board member said they were getting it sent to them. Hmm I need to go looking.
That's it! I couldn't remember where it came from, just the quote. Was it bonjovi90? For some reason, now that you've mentioned it, his name comes to mind.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:24 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
I know that people always say that The Circle is a Richie album, but I don't hear it! I know he co-wrote every track, but none of them really sound like Richie tracks to me. More like Jon tracks that Richie contributed to somehow. I might be completely wrong, but you know, if it was that much of a Richie album then you'd think he would play at least something from that at his solo or RSO shows. While he's played stuff from Crush, Bounce and Have A Nice Day, he's never touched any material after that....

Lost Highway is the last record that I could actually hear Richie's influence on...
No, I'm with you on this one. I've heard several rumours that Jon and Richie had artistical differences throughout The Circle era since the direction Jon chose sound wise wasn't what Richie had envisioned (he wanted to get back to a more rocking overall sound like they had in the 80's).
It might've very well been that Richie just didn't care too much about What About Now or didn't show up the day of recording and Phil X just stepped in.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:42 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Chances are those “rumors” were just fan speculation that traveled, much like the fan page publicized track list for Burning Bridges that went around the world but started right here on Dry County by fans listing known tracks that were unreleased.