Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

New Studio Album - Forever

New Bon Jovi Releases


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 03-18-2023, 07:03 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
This Post Feels Right
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 39
Gender: male
Posts: 13,855
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

A bunch of tracks that everyone loves from Burning Bridges stemmed from the sessions from THINFS, an album people don't like.

We Don't Run is loved, Knockout is hated. Both songs using the same production tricks (fuzzy crunchy bass, high gain drums with a bit of a dancier swing). It ain't cut and dry and wanting Jon to write like an era because if it comes out as forced, we rage that he's trying to recreate a sound (all the Live Your Life songs is a great example).

40 years in they're in such a no-win spot because they have so many sounds we have affinities for. Blood in the Water and Brothers in Arms fit the Keep the Faith vibe to a T but we don't want them to sound like 2020 so it's very confusing to know what people want the band to do.

Me? Keep making it sound like a band, more complicated guitar parts, get weird on a few songs and can bumper sticker lyrics. But bumper sticker cliche lyrics? That's Prayer. That's It's My Life, that got them here so I know I'll never get that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old 03-19-2023, 07:35 AM
rolo_tomachi rolo_tomachi is offline
Senior Member
Price of posting
 
Join Date: 19 Aug 2009
Gender: male
Posts: 6,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I'm always amused when people talk about Jon going back to his roots and then cite album like SWW, NJ or KTF. Those albums were the path that lead them to glory, but Jon never had been a hard rocker to begin with. His roots are down the Jersey shore, bar band stuff like Springsteen or Southside Johnny. Listen to the Powerstation recordings or at what material he selected for the KOS shows in the past and you get an idea of the kind of music he wants to play.
I agree that they were never a real hard rock band, but by the powerstation era, although they were Jon's roots in the beginning, was not Bon Jovi sound. Bon Jovi's first record was already different from the Southside Johnny style he used to emulate in 1980- 82.

Is true that they have always had a style similar to Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams... but I would also add Aerosmith to the list. Richie Sambora's playing style on the early records changes everything, with those great riffs and guitar solos. Other of his influences were always the Rolling Stones.

Either way, the songs with which they achieved glory are the true Bon Jovi for me, I don't care about their roots, but the moment where they got their own voice.
__________________

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 03-19-2023 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-19-2023, 02:22 PM
semigoodlooking semigoodlooking is offline
Senior Member
Wanted Dead or Alive
 
Join Date: 04 Sep 2017
Gender: male
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
I agree that they were never a real hard rock band, but by the powerstation era, although they were Jon's roots in the beginning, was not Bon Jovi sound. Bon Jovi's first record was already different from the Southside Johnny style he used to emulate in 1980- 82.

Is true that they have always had a style similar to Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams... but I would also add Aerosmith to the list. Richie Sambora's playing style on the early records changes everything, with those great riffs and guitar solos. Other of his influences were always the Rolling Stones.

Either way, the songs with which they achieved glory are the true Bon Jovi for me, I don't care about their roots, but the moment where they got their own voice.
Yeah, but Richie is in many ways the rock glue of the band. There's a reason why haters - who usually come from the hard rock/metal community - say "I only like Sambora". Jon is rock and roll, but not hard rock and he never was. What he has always been is incredibly driven to be at the top of the pile, which is why he was happy enough to change with the musical times.

Because he was not in love with the hard rock scene or the lifestyle, it was much easier for him to break free from it. Access All Areas shows he was different and an outsider in that scene. All Bon Jovi albums have been contrived and even though we like to look back on the good old days, those first four albums are just as manipulated as the last four.

Jon was Aerosmith as long as he needed to be, he was Motley Crue as long as he needed to be, Def Leppard, Springsteen, Imagine Dragons or whatever. Jon and by extension Bon Jovi are incredibly unoriginal, there is no point denying that. They also made amazing music and are criminally overlooked for their four album run from Slippery to These Days. Despite his approach, Jon was able to encapsulate, define, and mainstream that 80s rock scene in a way perhaps only two other bands were able to.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-19-2023, 02:41 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
This Post Feels Right
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 39
Gender: male
Posts: 13,855
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
Yeah, but Richie is in many ways the rock glue of the band. There's a reason why haters - who usually come from the hard rock/metal community - say "I only like Sambora". Jon is rock and roll, but not hard rock and he never was. What he has always been is incredibly driven to be at the top of the pile, which is why he was happy enough to change with the musical times.

Because he was not in love with the hard rock scene or the lifestyle, it was much easier for him to break free from it. Access All Areas shows he was different and an outsider in that scene. All Bon Jovi albums have been contrived and even though we like to look back on the good old days, those first four albums are just as manipulated as the last four.

Jon was Aerosmith as long as he needed to be, he was Motley Crue as long as he needed to be, Def Leppard, Springsteen, Imagine Dragons or whatever. Jon and by extension Bon Jovi are incredibly unoriginal, there is no point denying that. They also made amazing music and are criminally overlooked for their four album run from Slippery to These Days. Despite his approach, Jon was able to encapsulate, define, and mainstream that 80s rock scene in a way perhaps only two other bands were able to.

God, this is such a good post. Even Bob Rock pointed out that KTF was a calculated effort to get hits and be current. We just overlook that because of the memories attached and the quality of the songs. I think you're so bang on about Richie being the one that can help elevate it from a copy of a copy of a copy to something new that leans heavily from Jon's vision of recreating someone else's vibe.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-19-2023, 08:34 PM
Eveline Eveline is offline
Senior Member
Blame it on the love of posting
 
Join Date: 11 Nov 2016
Location: Poland
Gender: female
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
God, this is such a good post.
I absolutely agree, a very good post. I've come to realise that after a while, though. It's so easy to believe JBJ ever wanted to rock, while all he wanted was to be relevant and high on the charts, chasing fads and making current music.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-20-2023, 08:21 AM
Faceman Faceman is offline
Senior Member
Keep the Faith
 
Join Date: 12 Apr 2006
Gender: male
Posts: 877
Default

It's what Alec said a long time ago (I'm not sure if it even was in the interview that got him fired):

"I know how Jon writes and I know how Richie writes. I put those two guys together. They should be patting me on the back ‘cos without each other they’d still not be writing right. Jon writes cowboy songs, they all start out that way. He needs Richie to hard ‘em up and turn them into Bon Jovi songs."
__________________
Check out what's becoming the biggest Bon Jovi touring website: https://bjtours.jimdo.com/
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-20-2023, 10:11 AM
nikos greece's Avatar
nikos greece nikos greece is offline
Senior Member
Jovi FANatic
 
Join Date: 07 Jan 2009
Location: athens,greece
Gender: male
Posts: 1,304
Default

great posts with good insight on the band...

its true that bj were never the experimental full original band...nevertheless they made impressive style transitions from sww nj to ktf & td...in a small period of time!!

during these 4 album run they should get much more respect...
And live they managed to be huge and great performers for 25 years...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-20-2023, 10:34 AM
semigoodlooking semigoodlooking is offline
Senior Member
Wanted Dead or Alive
 
Join Date: 04 Sep 2017
Gender: male
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos greece View Post
great posts with good insight on the band...

its true that bj were never the experimental full original band...nevertheless they made impressive style transitions from sww nj to ktf & td...in a small period of time!!

during these 4 album run they should get much more respect...
And live they managed to be huge and great performers for 25 years...
Just to be clear, I wasn't beating Jon or the band with any stick. Being original in and of itself is not even a compliment. You can be original and shit just as much as original and good. There are plenty of unoriginal bands that are excellent, some of the biggest ever in fact.

And while I think Jon/Bon Jovi is more contrived than most, it highlights some of Jon's great strengths. He was able to see the directions the band needed to go in and then steer the ship there. Of course, he could then back up his vision by writing/co-writing good songs that fit the new direction while retaining the core Bon Jovi sound.

That's where Sambora was fundamental because, alongside Jon's voice, he was the core sound. My post above was actually a compliment to Jon, Bon Jovi, and Richie. They made amazing music together because of their skills. Through the 80s and 90s, Richie was the glue that held Jon's nomadic and trend-chasing ideas together, at least in a musical sense.

Of course, Jon continued his artistic MO right into the 2000s and to this day. It is no coincidence to me that Richie's increasingly diminished involvement through the last two decades resulted in failed attempts at chasing the trends.

And I fundamentally disagree with what Alec said. I know he was in the situation, but Jon has written enough excellent songs alone that were not cowboy songs.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-20-2023, 11:09 AM
nikos greece's Avatar
nikos greece nikos greece is offline
Senior Member
Jovi FANatic
 
Join Date: 07 Jan 2009
Location: athens,greece
Gender: male
Posts: 1,304
Default

100% agree..

during their peak they made beautiful music and their 2 first solo albums were brilliant as well..

i think that both Richie and jon can still pen down a great tune but they dont have the push/drive they would need...

as the edge stated in a recent interview the enemy of great is almost great...the excuses we use to stop persuing greatness
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-20-2023, 11:39 AM
Thinny's Avatar
Thinny Thinny is offline
Senior Member
Something for the Posts
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2013
Location: Leicester
Gender: male
Posts: 2,969
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos greece View Post
as the edge stated in a recent interview the enemy of great is almost great...the excuses we use to stop persuing greatness
Speaking of The Edge, I just watched the documentary that he and Bono did that is now streaming on Disney+ and I just kept thinking - man, if Jon and Richie could put their egos aside and do something like this!

Bono and The Edge have their ups and downs but they truly love and respect each other and that is sadly lacking between Jon and Richie.
__________________
Thinny

Last edited by Thinny; 03-20-2023 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forever (album)

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.