View Single Post

Old 03-18-2023, 01:39 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
The guys have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing an album in the vein of lets Say New Jersey or a KTF .... Classic Rock never died and I don't see what his hang up about about going back to their roots....
As much as I would love them to put out another record like that, realistically speaking I just don't think it would work out nowadays.

Sure, the band could turn it up and play heavier stuff again, but part of what made those albums so great was Jon's powerful raspy vocals and the way he could rip through those songs like a mad man. Some songs of that era even already fell kinda flat live (for me at least), when Jon's voice was still in pretty decent shape, but he just couldn't rip through those songs anymore like he used to (the Bad Medicine verses come to mind here).

You can correct pitch and timing and cut different takes together in the studio, but you can't artificially pump that power and grit back into Jon's vocals (without making him sound like a robot), so you'd get a nice heavy band performance, sure, but with thin-sounding vocals on top that don't fit in with the style and edge of the songs at all.

I think what would be more realistic if the band were to go back to a bit more of a rock sound, would be something along the lines of HAND, The Circle or maybe even a bit of Bounce as well. Jon doesn't really have the voice for that kinda stuff anymore either, but I think it's more realistic that with some studio magic they could create a decent-sounding rock song in the vein of Have A Nice Day than a Bad Medicine or Keep The Faith 2020s edition.