View Single Post

Old 03-19-2023, 08:35 AM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I'm always amused when people talk about Jon going back to his roots and then cite album like SWW, NJ or KTF. Those albums were the path that lead them to glory, but Jon never had been a hard rocker to begin with. His roots are down the Jersey shore, bar band stuff like Springsteen or Southside Johnny. Listen to the Powerstation recordings or at what material he selected for the KOS shows in the past and you get an idea of the kind of music he wants to play.
I agree that they were never a real hard rock band, but by the powerstation era, although they were Jon's roots in the beginning, was not Bon Jovi sound. Bon Jovi's first record was already different from the Southside Johnny style he used to emulate in 1980- 82.

Is true that they have always had a style similar to Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams... but I would also add Aerosmith to the list. Richie Sambora's playing style on the early records changes everything, with those great riffs and guitar solos. Other of his influences were always the Rolling Stones.

Either way, the songs with which they achieved glory are the true Bon Jovi for me, I don't care about their roots, but the moment where they got their own voice.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 03-19-2023 at 02:30 PM..