Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

Rate: American Reckoning

New Bon Jovi Releases


View Poll Results: American Reckoning
1 3 4.55%
2 3 4.55%
3 9 13.64%
4 3 4.55%
5 5 7.58%
6 13 19.70%
7 16 24.24%
8 9 13.64%
9 2 3.03%
10 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #131  
Old 07-21-2020, 01:09 AM
Rdkopper's Avatar
Rdkopper Rdkopper is offline
Senior Member
Posting everyday
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 7,724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Yeah this. His vocals are almost always recorded at home, it's the after processing that might be a little different. It literally does not matter where he records his vocals.
You keep saying that but that's not true. He recorded in NYC and Memphis. When he would record at Sanctuary 2, he had a full studio, he was working with a producer, and he had a better voice so it didn't really matter anyway...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
__________________
World’s Most Professional Bon Jovi Fan!!!
Reply With Quote

  #132  
Old 07-21-2020, 03:46 PM
JerseyGiant JerseyGiant is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Addict
 
Join Date: 17 Jun 2006
Location: England
Age: 30
Gender: male
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith1985 View Post
I think that if you think it is boring you do not understand the song
Oh I get it. Boring and flat as in the vocal deliverance. I'm glad you enjoy it. Does nothing for me.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 07-21-2020, 04:44 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 11,722
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
You keep saying that but that's not true. He recorded in NYC and Memphis. When he would record at Sanctuary 2, he had a full studio, he was working with a producer, and he had a better voice so it didn't really matter anyway...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
My point was more being equipment doesn't = better vocal takes. I'm sure he downgraded his home studio setup but the work on his vocals would be done AFTER the fact and once Shanks gets the raw files then the work would begin. It's not like the vocals are sounding worse because of a janky setup, I wonder if the turnaround was a little quicker due to the subject matter and Shanks didn't have a chance to do his patented wall-of-sound producing. *Shrugs* just my opinion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 07-21-2020, 04:45 PM
Rdkopper's Avatar
Rdkopper Rdkopper is offline
Senior Member
Posting everyday
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 7,724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
My point was more being equipment doesn't = better vocal takes. I'm sure he downgraded his home studio setup but the work on his vocals would be done AFTER the fact and once Shanks gets the raw files then the work would begin. It's not like the vocals are sounding worse because of a janky setup, I wonder if the turnaround was a little quicker due to the subject matter and Shanks didn't have a chance to do his patented wall-of-sound producing. *Shrugs* just my opinion.
It said that Jon produced it.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
__________________
World’s Most Professional Bon Jovi Fan!!!
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 09-25-2020, 09:36 PM
James_86's Avatar
James_86 James_86 is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Fan
 
Join Date: 18 Feb 2013
Location: Wisbech, England
Age: 34
Gender: male
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvi View Post
After two listens, I don't like it. There is nothing that makes me want to listen to it again.



Similar to Unbroken, the lyrics are so literal. There are some lines which are well written, but majority of it is either a cliche or a specific sentence like a headline you'd read in a newspaper. I want the romance in the lyrics back. More abstract and poetic lines.



I do like Jon's low voice in the verses, and the music is calming and gentle. But I'm picking at straws trying to find a positive.



3/10
This is exactly how I feel. I've been trying to find a way to write it down but you've done it for me.

The literal lyrics remind me of Randy Newman in Family Guy. Just sing about what you see.

How does everybody interpret the line "I'll never know what it's like, to walk a mile in his shoes?" Is this directly about George Floyd or a more general comment about the problems facing black people in America? If its the former I'd be quite disappointed in Jon given Floyd's criminal past.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
__________________
MK Bowl '01 - Old Trafford '03 - Hyde Park '03 - City of Manchester Stadium '06 - Twickenham '08 - o2 Arena '10 - Hyde Park '11 - Hyde Park '13

@JayChapperz
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 09-25-2020, 09:39 PM
Rdkopper's Avatar
Rdkopper Rdkopper is offline
Senior Member
Posting everyday
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 7,724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_86 View Post
How does everybody interpret the line "I'll never know what it's like, to walk a mile in his shoes?" Is this directly about George Floyd or a more general comment about the problems facing black people in America? If its the former I'd be quite disappointed in Jon given Floyd's criminal past.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
I totally agree with this!!!

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
__________________
World’s Most Professional Bon Jovi Fan!!!
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 09-25-2020, 09:44 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 11,722
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_86 View Post
This is exactly how I feel. I've been trying to find a way to write it down but you've done it for me.

The literal lyrics remind me of Randy Newman in Family Guy. Just sing about what you see.

How does everybody interpret the line "I'll never know what it's like, to walk a mile in his shoes?" Is this directly about George Floyd or a more general comment about the problems facing black people in America? If its the former I'd be quite disappointed in Jon given Floyd's criminal past.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
Took it to mean general comment african americans face everyday.

Criminal past or not it doesn't justify the actions by the police, that's more the angle Jon is taking in the song.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 09-25-2020, 09:44 PM
James_86's Avatar
James_86 James_86 is offline
Senior Member
Jovi Fan
 
Join Date: 18 Feb 2013
Location: Wisbech, England
Age: 34
Gender: male
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
I totally agree with this!!!

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
It just doesn't sit easy with me. Is Jon really saying how can I judge this man, a career criminal, because I've never walked a mile in his shoes? I think that's potentially quite dangerous.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
__________________
MK Bowl '01 - Old Trafford '03 - Hyde Park '03 - City of Manchester Stadium '06 - Twickenham '08 - o2 Arena '10 - Hyde Park '11 - Hyde Park '13

@JayChapperz
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 09-25-2020, 09:45 PM
liljovi93's Avatar
liljovi93 liljovi93 is offline
Senior Member
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 27 Mar 2007
Location: Liverpool
Age: 27
Gender: male
Posts: 11,931
Send a message via MSN to liljovi93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Took it to mean general comment african americans face everyday.



Criminal past or not it doesn't justify the actions by the police, that's more the angle Jon is taking in the song.
This is how I took it too.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
__________________


Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!


Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 09-25-2020, 09:47 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
I Don't Want To Post Forever
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 11,722
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_86 View Post
It just doesn't sit easy with me. Is Jon really saying how can I judge this man, a career criminal, because I've never walked a mile in his shoes? I think that's potentially quite dangerous.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
I just don't think most people are seeing it like that though. I hear what you're saying but that isn't what's causing the outrage.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.