Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read
 

Rate: American Reckoning

New Bon Jovi Releases


View Poll Results: American Reckoning
1 3 4.84%
2 3 4.84%
3 9 14.52%
4 3 4.84%
5 5 8.06%
6 10 16.13%
7 15 24.19%
8 9 14.52%
9 2 3.23%
10 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 07-10-2020, 07:13 PM
Adam D's Avatar
Adam D Adam D is offline
Senior Member
Jovi FANatic
 
Join Date: 07 Aug 2002
Location: Florida
Age: 37
Gender: male
Posts: 1,353
Send a message via AIM to Adam D
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixy View Post
Anyone could help me out, what's the meaning of this?

I just don't get it.

"And I'll never have to have the talk

So it don't happen to you"
Jon, as a white man, is commenting on the fact that he will never have to have the talk with his kids in the same way that black parents have to have with theirs.

Black parents have to look at the police differently than almost any other race in the US. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to train your kids, basically from birth, to be wary of the police and law enforcement.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
__________________
These Days
Keep The Faith
New Jersey
Slippery When Wet
The Circle
Crush
Have A Nice Day
Lost Highway
What About Now
Bounce
7800 Fahrenheit
Bon Jovi


"Each song played was just another example of how ingenious these guys are at writing choruses that make you feel like there’s a big game tomorrow, that you’re the underdog, and that you’re going to win."
Reply With Quote

  #22  
Old 07-10-2020, 07:53 PM
phoenixy phoenixy is offline
Member
Runaway
 
Join Date: 21 Aug 2015
Location: Hungary
Age: 27
Gender: male
Posts: 87
Default

Thank you (both of you)!
It's clear now.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-10-2020, 10:04 PM
RonJovi RonJovi is offline
Senior Member
Lay your Posts on Me
 
Join Date: 03 Jun 2004
Posts: 706
Default

I was surprised to see so many say the lyrics are great. The first verse is garbage and rehashes a load of ideas/lyrics from previous songs. However, while I dismissed the lyrics on that basis, the rest is pretty good.

I like it. It’s a pretty good effort given the subject matter. It’s not memorable or anything but it’s decent.

It’s not Bon Jovi though for me. It’s Jon trying to be Dylan and that’s not why I love this band. Jon isn’t even a pale imitation of Dylan (or Bruce) so he should stop trying. He made it on writing songs that the average person could relate to. Songs that captured how everyman/everywoman was feeling. No one did it better.

Maybe he’s grown up but if he has, that doesn’t mean he has the lyrical dexterity to write about subjects like this well.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-10-2020, 10:31 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Tokyo Road
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 11,546
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJovi View Post
I was surprised to see so many say the lyrics are great. The first verse is garbage and rehashes a load of ideas/lyrics from previous songs. However, while I dismissed the lyrics on that basis, the rest is pretty good.

I like it. It’s a pretty good effort given the subject matter. It’s not memorable or anything but it’s decent.

It’s not Bon Jovi though for me. It’s Jon trying to be Dylan and that’s not why I love this band. Jon isn’t even a pale imitation of Dylan (or Bruce) so he should stop trying. He made it on writing songs that the average person could relate to. Songs that captured how everyman/everywoman was feeling. No one did it better.

Maybe he’s grown up but if he has, that doesn’t mean he has the lyrical dexterity to write about subjects like this well.
But I feel like he's always had this side of him before. There are a handful of songwriter-y songs in the catalouge, at varying levels of quality we'll say haha, that this vibe fits perfectly.

I'm curious what songs you meant that this rehashes? As far as turns of phrase goes, Shine a light has been used before but the rest feels pretty specific to the incident. I'm not defending the song by any means, just curious.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-10-2020, 10:39 PM
Alphavictim Alphavictim is offline
Senior Member
Something for the Posts
 
Join Date: 15 Sep 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 33
Gender: male
Posts: 2,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJovi View Post
I was surprised to see so many say the lyrics are great. The first verse is garbage and rehashes a load of ideas/lyrics from previous songs. However, while I dismissed the lyrics on that basis, the rest is pretty good.

I like it. It’s a pretty good effort given the subject matter. It’s not memorable or anything but it’s decent.

It’s not Bon Jovi though for me. It’s Jon trying to be Dylan and that’s not why I love this band. Jon isn’t even a pale imitation of Dylan (or Bruce) so he should stop trying. He made it on writing songs that the average person could relate to. Songs that captured how everyman/everywoman was feeling. No one did it better.

Maybe he’s grown up but if he has, that doesn’t mean he has the lyrical dexterity to write about subjects like this well.
Do you really feel that this song is going for a distanced analysis? It is still very much about the perspective of the everyman looking at that situation.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-10-2020, 10:47 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Tokyo Road
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 11,546
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

If anything he's gone from writing about things an every man can relate to, to pretty flat out saying "I can't relate to this but it's still terrible that everything is shit". I really....like that it's not shrouded in metaphors. I didn't think he'd have the balls to support this movement publicly because of the fanbase but I think it's great he didn't play the middle-ground card.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-10-2020, 11:09 PM
RonJovi RonJovi is offline
Senior Member
Lay your Posts on Me
 
Join Date: 03 Jun 2004
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Do you really feel that this song is going for a distanced analysis? It is still very much about the perspective of the everyman looking at that situation.
True but that’s not really my point. The big hits, “Prayer”, “Bad Name”, “IBTFY”, “Bed of Roses”, “In These Arms”, TAALS”, “IML” we’re all songs that people could personally relate to and apply to their lives. This is a song about an incident and situation that everyone has an opinion on but that most people aren’t personally effected by.

Even BJ’s better post 2000 songs (IML, Just Older, MAM, HAND, WLOL, AOD, LWTG) are songs that I can personally relate to.

This sort of song doesn’t do much for me to be honest. It’s decent, some of the lyrics are surprisingly good but other people do this sort of song much better and Jon does other sorts of songs much better than he does this kind of thing.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-10-2020, 11:16 PM
RonJovi RonJovi is offline
Senior Member
Lay your Posts on Me
 
Join Date: 03 Jun 2004
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
But I feel like he's always had this side of him before. There are a handful of songwriter-y songs in the catalouge, at varying levels of quality we'll say haha, that this vibe fits perfectly.

I'm curious what songs you meant that this rehashes? As far as turns of phrase goes, Shine a light has been used before but the rest feels pretty specific to the incident. I'm not defending the song by any means, just curious.
Are there many from the glory days though? It’s something he seems to have developed in the last 10-15 years.

“America’s on fire” instantly had me thinking of THINFS (“The streets are on fire”).

“I can’t breathe” he used as recently as Unbroken. I’m sure he’s used it in other songs as well.

The bits in between are trying to sound more clever than they are. They’re sort of empty words to me.

There are other bits I liked. “When did a judge and jury become a badge and a knee” sort of stopped me in my tracks. The rest is pretty good lyrically. First verse just grates on me a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-10-2020, 11:50 PM
Rdkopper's Avatar
Rdkopper Rdkopper is offline
Senior Member
Posting everyday
 
Join Date: 04 Oct 2008
Gender: male
Posts: 7,617
Default

I'll give the song a 5 out of 10.

Let me just note for the record that regardless of political views, George Floyd's death was beyond tragic however I'm just reviewing the song itself, not the written content.

Negatives:
1. Not only has Jon been lowering the keys, singing in one note, he's now basically talking the verses and even semi talking the chorus... But the Stones made a career out of it so why not?

2. His speech... The way he pronounces certain words like "Badge". He's also slurry / spitting words. He really needs a new vocal coach to reset him.

3. No Real Melody, No Hooks, Nothing to grab you.

4. The songs been done already. As I stated a few times now, it's a Bruce song from 20 years ago.

Positive:
1. The Production: Considering it was done virtually, the sound came out pretty good. It's not just killed with Shanks overproduction.

2. It's better than Do What You Can - which might be the single worst song Jon has ever done. Joey and Working Man are masterpieces compared to that one.

Neutral:
1. It's 2013 again when Jon put those two Stand Up Guy songs on What About Now as bonus tracks... I feel like we're back to that again... Same feel...Some fans embraced it, some hated it, and others were neutral.

2. The Lyrics. I was a day behind everyone (or at least a few hours) and based on everyone's reviews, I was expected to be blow away. I've always said that Jon's strength to this very day are his lyrics so they are not bad by any means but they aren't off the charts either. "The Spirits, The Intoxicate Me, I Watch Them Infiltrate My Soul" are bad ass lyrics.



Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
__________________
World’s Most Professional Bon Jovi Fan!!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-10-2020, 11:56 PM
Captain_jovi's Avatar
Captain_jovi Captain_jovi is offline
Moderator
Tokyo Road
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 35
Gender: male
Posts: 11,546
Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJovi View Post
Are there many from the glory days though? It’s something he seems to have developed in the last 10-15 years.

“America’s on fire” instantly had me thinking of THINFS (“The streets are on fire”).

“I can’t breathe” he used as recently as Unbroken. I’m sure he’s used it in other songs as well.

The bits in between are trying to sound more clever than they are. They’re sort of empty words to me.

There are other bits I liked. “When did a judge and jury become a badge and a knee” sort of stopped me in my tracks. The rest is pretty good lyrically. First verse just grates on me a bit.
Fair enough, I see where you're coming from. For what it's worth, I was under the under the impression he's using "I can't breathe" in this instance due to George Floyd's last words etc. I think taking issue with X on fire twice is a bit of a stretch but I get it.

It is for sure hollow in points but I fall into the camp where I'd rather something specific than universal. I genuinely can't take another empty, universal song. He can write those in his sleep at this point. Get off your knees, sparks and fires, blind men can see, raise your hand. Sincerely, I'm done with it. It doesn't make this song better but it makes it hit harder.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking that even 1% of Bon Jovi fans are like you, because they aren't. Don't think you know how Bon Jovi fans think. You don't. You know yourself. Stick to that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.