View Single Post

Old 07-10-2020, 10:31 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJovi View Post
I was surprised to see so many say the lyrics are great. The first verse is garbage and rehashes a load of ideas/lyrics from previous songs. However, while I dismissed the lyrics on that basis, the rest is pretty good.

I like it. It’s a pretty good effort given the subject matter. It’s not memorable or anything but it’s decent.

It’s not Bon Jovi though for me. It’s Jon trying to be Dylan and that’s not why I love this band. Jon isn’t even a pale imitation of Dylan (or Bruce) so he should stop trying. He made it on writing songs that the average person could relate to. Songs that captured how everyman/everywoman was feeling. No one did it better.

Maybe he’s grown up but if he has, that doesn’t mean he has the lyrical dexterity to write about subjects like this well.
But I feel like he's always had this side of him before. There are a handful of songwriter-y songs in the catalouge, at varying levels of quality we'll say haha, that this vibe fits perfectly.

I'm curious what songs you meant that this rehashes? As far as turns of phrase goes, Shine a light has been used before but the rest feels pretty specific to the incident. I'm not defending the song by any means, just curious.