View Single Post

Old 07-10-2020, 11:50 PM
The Distance

I'll give the song a 5 out of 10.

Let me just note for the record that regardless of political views, George Floyd's death was beyond tragic however I'm just reviewing the song itself, not the written content.

Negatives:
1. Not only has Jon been lowering the keys, singing in one note, he's now basically talking the verses and even semi talking the chorus... But the Stones made a career out of it so why not?

2. His speech... The way he pronounces certain words like "Badge". He's also slurry / spitting words. He really needs a new vocal coach to reset him.

3. No Real Melody, No Hooks, Nothing to grab you.

4. The songs been done already. As I stated a few times now, it's a Bruce song from 20 years ago.

Positive:
1. The Production: Considering it was done virtually, the sound came out pretty good. It's not just killed with Shanks overproduction.

2. It's better than Do What You Can - which might be the single worst song Jon has ever done. Joey and Working Man are masterpieces compared to that one.

Neutral:
1. It's 2013 again when Jon put those two Stand Up Guy songs on What About Now as bonus tracks... I feel like we're back to that again... Same feel...Some fans embraced it, some hated it, and others were neutral.

2. The Lyrics. I was a day behind everyone (or at least a few hours) and based on everyone's reviews, I was expected to be blow away. I've always said that Jon's strength to this very day are his lyrics so they are not bad by any means but they aren't off the charts either. "The Spirits, The Intoxicate Me, I Watch Them Infiltrate My Soul" are bad ass lyrics.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk