View Single Post

Old 07-10-2020, 11:56 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJovi View Post
Are there many from the glory days though? It’s something he seems to have developed in the last 10-15 years.

“America’s on fire” instantly had me thinking of THINFS (“The streets are on fire”).

“I can’t breathe” he used as recently as Unbroken. I’m sure he’s used it in other songs as well.

The bits in between are trying to sound more clever than they are. They’re sort of empty words to me.

There are other bits I liked. “When did a judge and jury become a badge and a knee” sort of stopped me in my tracks. The rest is pretty good lyrically. First verse just grates on me a bit.
Fair enough, I see where you're coming from. For what it's worth, I was under the under the impression he's using "I can't breathe" in this instance due to George Floyd's last words etc. I think taking issue with X on fire twice is a bit of a stretch but I get it.

It is for sure hollow in points but I fall into the camp where I'd rather something specific than universal. I genuinely can't take another empty, universal song. He can write those in his sleep at this point. Get off your knees, sparks and fires, blind men can see, raise your hand. Sincerely, I'm done with it. It doesn't make this song better but it makes it hit harder.