View Single Post

Old 07-11-2020, 10:05 AM
Born to be my Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
This song kind of leaves me with a bittersweet taste. Simply because I've come to realize that our verdict, "decent lyrics for the last years and it serves its purpose quite well" is probably the best we're ever gonna get from now on.
Jon's vocal limitations and the fact that he criminally underuses his band have pressed it all into a mould that I don't think will work in the long run.
Yup. Totally agree on that one. All our speculations and disappointments with all new releases are directly related to Jon's voice.

I believe Jon is still perfectly capable to write amazing songs if he wishes to do so, but he's just can't sing them anymore. All Bon Jovi's signature songs are songs that you can belt out in stadiums. Those songs naturally require a high key. That's just music theory. A powerverse, followed by an uplifting first chorus that leads to a second chorus that even tops the first one. That's how Livin' on a prayer works. That's how You give love a bad name works.

The first changes to this style came with Crush, cause let's face it. Apart from It's my life, a big smash, the rest of the record ain't that solid.

So yes, even if this song is a nice song, it's great as a song that captures what's going on in american society. But these kinda songs - that we'll get from now on - is not the stuff that will drive concert goers to the arenas rock out with Bon Jovi.