View Single Post

Old 10-05-2020, 01:14 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Just to amuse myself I'm going to reply without reading the other posts first and make the prediction that nobody will agree with me. The love for this song is unreal

So, let's start by saying that I'm still unable to rate this song. I'm usually very good at this, because unlike many fans (*wink*wink*) who rate an album as the best one since TD with every subsequent release, I know my limitations and I know when I'm going to get tired of a song pretty easily, when it will grow on me and well, that when I hate a song it will stay in that status forever, and I'm almost never wrong. BITW is a weird one, I guess because it's part of a weird album but also because my brain is saying YES! and NOPE at the same time and I just don't know.

The song is 80% greatness. The intro is truly beautiful (I wonder if the Dire Straits vibe is a cheeky reference or just a weird coincidence, my older kid *pins proud parent badge on* said that it reminded her of Another Brick in The Wall, so who knows), the first verse starts off good then deflates a bit and veers into cheesy/heavy-handed territory, then the chorus kicks in and OMFG THIS IS PURE PERFECTION. The music, the lyrics, the delivery, I JUST WANT TO LIVE IN THIS MOMENT FOREVER.
The second verse is good stuff too, not mindblowing but pretty strong, then again the chorus WHICH I ****ING LOVE IN CASE YOU DIDN'T GET IT THE FIRST TIME and then... the solo, which I don't mind but it tries too hard to be Dry County and Phil is not Richie (I'm assuming that's Mr. X playing) and he shouldn't even try. Phil is good at fun songs and 80s sound when it comes to his contribution to Jovi songs but that should be it. I know it's not Phil's fault, Jon wrote this song to be pretty much a bookend to DC, lyrically, thematically and musically so the solo had to be in the same vein, but it doesn't wow me. It's not bad, it's just... not Richie and I just don't want to be reminded of Richie, which this solo does. Minus points.

And then the bridge ruins the song. I'm not going to go into detail because I've already rambled enough about this particular part of the song, but it's just such a ****ing shame that the song had to end on a whimper. The lyrics in the bridge just take me out of it completely, like coming off the best high and crashing into reality hard. More minus points.

In any case, I'd give it a 7-8 as my initial verdict, if only because the chorus deserves 10000 at least. Maybe my final verdict will be an 8 because it made me realize that I didn't make a mistake in marrying my husband when he recognized DC thirty seconds into the song and was even able to hum it a little bit to prove he knew what song he was referring too (hubby only knows the big hits and I certainly don't force him to listen to BJ) and that made me very proud of him. I'm kidding of course about the marrying part, but I thought it was very cute and made me go awww for a second so plus points for that.

Edit: Of course y'all love it, wasn't expecting any less. I stand corrected about the solo though... where did the info come from? I thought Phil was the lead guitarist in all songs except for the Fingerprints copycat solo, isn't he?

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know

Last edited by symbeline; 10-05-2020 at 01:21 AM..