View Single Post

Old 10-05-2020, 06:28 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbeline View Post
I really like that you wanted to hear what other people thought about the lyrics instead of just asking about the song.

As I've already wrote about the lyrics in another thread I don't want to bore anybody with more of my analysis. I think the lyrics are a mix of pretty straightforward references to Trump's run as president and some of his politics (clear reference to immigrant struggles) and more "poetic" references to the very similar themes in Dry County, hence the swimming in the water (instead of sand), the devil, etc. I think the good lyrics are superbly written to weave all the threads (the real-life references, the metaphors and the callbacks to DC) and work seamlessly. But that's my interpretation of course, to me the fact that DC was chosen as a blueprint is not a coincidence, it's as I said a callback to let the listener know that not only that world didn't improve, it got even worse (more references to the devil instead of God, the water being tainted by blood, etc).

Or it could be just political lyrics and nothing more.

Curious to hear what others have to say
I'm struggling a little with the lyrics in terms of which point of view it's being told from. For the first two verses, I interpret it as an illegal immigrant talking to Trump and basically saying that he'll be out of office soon and describing his background of living in the shadows and being afraid of deportation. From there, I'm not sure. For the part "They say the noose fits like a necktie Sir, you're gonna fit right in", is that maybe the devil or someone talking to Trump before he gets involved in politics? And at the end is it being told from Trump's POV and he's calling himself a "Russian hack by trade"? I think that's my best guess but it's kind of confusing, and I think the song is told from multiple perspectives.