View Single Post

Old 10-04-2020, 06:05 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

I think it'll be interesting to have a look at what perspective each of the verses has been written from. I'd love to be corrected by native speakers or just anyone.

The first one describes a bad situation in which his view of the world/country/society is losing. The question is why. For the everyday sins everyone makes?

I don't get the first two lines of the second verse: "Once I came across your border, now they come to take me back" in the context of the song or at least the verse. Then he describes how he's trying to make ends meet, be careful and how that is actually what his life in his country is about, he kinda accepts it, doesn't he?

The chorus plays with the idiom that once you start losing, you attract the predator/opponent even more like sharks sense blood in the water which lures them closer. I don't know why Devil and Satan are mentioned. I'm not religious but I guess that's the same entity. I like the thought that we pretend the evil is not there, that nothing can happen and that is the reason to fail.

The third verse gets more confusing for me. "I hear your shadow sold your secrets" is a nice line but I can't get my mind straight what it's supposed to mean. I only guess it means that you convict yourself of something bad unintentionally (like what you post on social media, or your browser history? in today's world) so even though you didn't do anything bad as such, you'll pay for it anyway.

The last verse (or is it a bridge?) takes the ironical approach to show what moves with people's minds and opinions today by taking the role, quite angrily I'd say.

So the "I" throughout the songs is not always the same.

I'm really curious about what others have to say.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights