View Single Post

Old 10-05-2020, 09:24 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesedays2014 View Post
You’re right...I used the wrong words ��. He’s a professional guitarist, but he isn’t a lead guitarist, nor a decent rhythm guitarist...he’s mediocre, any musician can tell you that, he’d probably even say it himself. I’m not taking a dig...

Regarding the takes, anyone who is a bit studio savvy will say the same. Check out the threads on BB And Fingerprints if you want. Again, it’s a great solo, but patched together...Shanks’ best work. Just listen to Story of Love...it’s a poor (guitar) man’s Fingerprints.

It’s a waste having such a talented guitarist as Phil if you’ll only let him play one flashy solo per album. I even think Jon or John probably told him: ‘make sure you put that flashy bendy thing you did on the THINFS outro on BD’. He has no creative freedom in Bon Jovi and it’s a shame...

Even you guys are trying to make Shanks out to be the new Sambora...he just isn’t.
I don't think he'd call himself mediocre, why would he do that....?

The fact that the solo that let Phil be himself caused Jon to say "you need to rerecord" tells you everything you need to know about Phil's place in the band, style wise. Not a single person on this board is trying to make Shanks the new Sambora. No one is, not by a long shot. You're trying to prove something no one is arguing.

Saying Shanks's style is closer to Sambora than Phil's isn't saying it's better or worse or comparable.