View Single Post

Old 10-08-2020, 05:24 PM
Next 100 Posts

Never in my wildest dreams did I think we’d get a song of this calibre ever again. It’s very easy to make those Dry County comparisons for sure and therein lies some of the beauty and negativity in it.

I love that musically and lyrically Jon has gone to DC as his reference point. It’s as if he’s recognised the position society is in back then is no better than it is now.

It’s been mentioned before but there’s just that little something missing in the shape of Richie Sambora that brings it crashing back to earth. I think for me it’s just ‘knowing’ it’s not the band that I fell in love with without Richie, it’s a different band. Harking back to a song from the good old days only makes it more obvious.

Having said all of this, when I put everything in perspective I know this is up there with the best we can probably expect from Bon Jovi nowadays. Thankfully I find myself in this frame of mind more often.

Thematically, it’s obviously a dig at POTUS. The opening and third verse very much a fairly threatening warning that his days are numbered. The second verse from the point of view of an immigrant trying to deal with the politics of Trump.

I’m still a little unsure about who ‘I’ is in the bridge. Any thoughts?