View Single Post

Old 07-25-2020, 03:26 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
So what you're essentially saying is an album similar to Slippery's style would tank harder than the way the albums now disappear from everyone's radar?
No, it's not what I said. And what I said applys more to the songs than the full albums. A song like Bad Medicine wouldn't be a successful radio single anymore. And all the bands listed in your post don't have successful radio singles either. They get played by rock stations which have nothing to do with single or album charts. They just play it because they're rock artists. And at least in German rock radio, Bon Jovi gets played quite often as well - from Runaway to Limitless.
Furthermore what I mean is another Slippery wouldn't bring them the same success like they had in the old days. I'm not one of those romantics who dream of another Slippery.

Quote:
The days of Slippery have gone. But the classic rock market is still massive. AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Scorpions, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard... The list is endless. They all release or have released new albums with an updated sound and sell loads of copies.
True, but they don't release that many albums in the same time frame than Bon Jovi do:

Released studio albums in the last 15 years:
AC/DC: Black Ice (2008 ), Rock Or Bust (2014)
Black Sabbath: 13 (2013)
Motley Crue: Saints Of Los Angeles (2008 )
Scorpions: Humanity Hour I (2007), Sting In The Tail (2010), Return To Forever (2015)
David Bowie: The Next Day (2013), Blackstar (2016)
The Rolling Stones: A Bigger Bang (2005), Blue & Lonesome (2016)
Iron Maiden: A Matter Of Life And Death (2006), The Final Frontier (2010), The Book Of Souls (2015)
Def Leppard: Yeah (2006), Songs From The Sparkle Lounge (2008 ), Def Leppard (2015)

Bon Jovi: Have A Nice Day (2005), Lost Highway (2007), The Circle (2009), What About Now (2013), Burning Bridges (2015), This House Is Not For Sale (2016), 2020 (2020)

So a sum of 17 studio albums from 8 different bands/artists vs. 7 albums from Bon Jovi alone.

It's much more likely that a casual buys the new album from an act who hasn't released one for years instead of buying another album from a band who releases new material every couple of years.

Quote:
Iron Maiden sold 170.000 copies in the U.S. without needing to add it to a ticket bundle. Bon Jovi have loads more exposure, play in front of bigger crowds and add their album to a ticket bundle and sell 130.000 albums. The constant talk of "It wouldn't work with Bon Jovi" has been proven wrong by pretty much all of their peers.
I agree with you on that one.
But like I said above, I'm not saying a real rock record from Bon Jovi would sell worse than what we get the last 15 years. But it wouldn't sell any better either.
It's a mix of quality and output frequency.

Last edited by Faceman; 07-25-2020 at 03:30 PM..