View Single Post

Old 08-03-2020, 06:44 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUceK1WV8 View Post
How many new fans did they get? How many more old fans listened to it?

Appealing to a new audience is not the same as rekindling interest in an old audience. It's still the same audience, only slightly more interested for a period of time. Furthermore, this is exactly what I am saying - it is possible to be pretty succesful by appealing to your own old fans; especially for a band like Bon Jovi that has a few nations worth of those in the reserve. Trying to look past them and appeal to a new audience and be "relevant" will not work and that is my point. Bon Jovi should stick to doing what they do best and their fans would be happy. Fans who by now have paid for their own houses and cars and as such are a far better audience for let's say a frontman that sees his band as a business
It's not even debatable It's My Life brought in a younger audience for the band. Speaking directly about North America, had they released something not sounding modern they would have drowned. It's not like Real Life re-invigorated their popularity. I was in Grade 10 when It's My Life was released and it was everywhere and people knew who the band was and Crush was a pretty significant record in the school (For a time period at least) but I don't think it's naive at all to say it brought them a younger audience as well as the people who never stopped listening to them.

Whether we like or dislike what they did is irrelevant and a different debate but it DID work for them in terms of gaining fans.