View Single Post

Old 01-11-2019, 07:38 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
He came in late but "co-wrote" 5 of the songs, he gave enough input. If he's the producer and the songs make the record he is in the position to say "this won't do, let's re-record this, are we sure this is the vibe we want etc" so it coming out like it did falls on him as well. Look at what he's produced since 2014 (Though it's even odder that Radio Free America slid so far under the radar that whoever edits his Instagram didn't even know about it):

2014 – The Offspring – Summer Nationals (EP)
2014 – Black Veil Brides – Black Veil Brides IV
2014 – Sarah McLachlan – Shine On
2014 – Jann Arden – Everything Almost
2014 – Bryan Adams – Tracks of My Years
2015 – The Offspring – Coming for You (Single)
2016 – The Cult – Hidden City
2018 – Jann Arden – These Are the Days

I don't think he's the producing type he used to be. He's not going to come back and whip an aging band back into shape, I think it's just too far gone and Jon is too comfortable.

I truly think Shanks and Jon butt heads to make what they want to make. I have no reason to think there's no conflict sometimes. It's just the end product is so mediocre.

I don't agree with much of that to be honest. I don't get why you are putting such a big emphases on the RSO record.

Bob has done everything from Pop to Metal...all listing his recent jobs does is is prove how versitile he is, probably one of the reasons he was what Richie wanted to help fix the RSO album. say whatever you like about that album, it is certainky varied in styles!

I wouldn't take much notice on Wiki either. Shanks' page only lists What About Now from Bon Jovi onhis production discography, none of the others!

Look at Shanks stuff and it's mainly pop artists, mainly solo artists or vocal groups. One of my main problems with Shanks is that he used a very similar sound on a lot of his records. I recognised his production style on a Melissa Etheridge album, before I knew it was him! His most recent jobs are Take That, Boyzone and Babara Steisand. Again the Steisand song has been all over BBC Radio 2 and it definitely has a Shanks sound on it too...

For me, a poor producer is one that imprints his sound on everything he does, rather than bringing out the best of the artists sound, which is what I believe Bob does...

I still see Shanks as a yes man and that's why Jon likes him. He's not going to disagree with Jon and rock the boat. He's got a cushy gig there! And he's not a band guy and he's not a rock guy. But regardless, we all know it's not going to change because Jon is too comfortable with him, his vocal insecurities probably have a lot to do with that. Shanks is never going to be the one to push Jon to try something different, or interesting. I still believe that the right producer could do that, but I guess we will never know....

Last edited by Thinny; 01-11-2019 at 07:44 PM..