Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

TwinFan's minimally-mattering review of What About Now

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 AM
It's my post

Default TwinFan's minimally-mattering review of What About Now

It's 1:00 AM here, I can't sleep, and I have nothing better to do right now. So I'll do this. And please, if you're going to just bitch, either shut up or keep it out of here.

My anticipation towards this album was reasonably high. I enjoyed The Circle, though it only had two songs with staying power (Thorn in My Side and Love's the Only Rule), and the Greatest Hits tracks were pretty forgettable. After the tour ended, I lost interest in the band for awhile, but once news of a new album and tour came out, I began looking forward to it. I was majorly let down upon the release of Because We Can, but after hearing the tracks live and the snippets, it started to look up. Then the album leaked, and I couldn't resist it. After a couple weeks, here's what I think of the album.

1. Because We Can
I still am not too keen on this song. The cheesy metaphors in the chorus as well as the "our love can move a mountain" bit dampen it for me. I like the verses quite a bit, and the overall gist and mood is cool, but my lord, that chorus. The solo doesn't bother me, it fits the mood of the song. An improvement in the lyrics (and potentially a better intro) would make this song a lot better for me. But I just can't see myself coming back to this song. Without a doubt, this is their worst lead single in their career, which is sad, because I feel the potential is there. 4/10

2. I'm With You
Here is where it picks up. This song is a slow burner, but it's great nonetheless. It's got some good guitar work by Richie, as well as some good vocals by Jon (which I don't think sound horrendously auto-tuned like some people do). This sounds like the song I've been waiting for them to release for a while. It's part of a three-way tie for my favorite song on the album. I can easily see myself coming back to this one regularly. 8.5/10

3. What About Now
I guess I have nothing against this song, it's just recent Bon Jovi on cruise control. This sounds like an outtake from The Circle. It desperately needs a solo, in my opinion. This song just seems like filler to me. Not very good for a title track. Decent track, just nothing exciting. 5/10

4. Pictures of You
I like this one, though I don't get the entire hype surrounding it. I'm not too big a fan of songs which are extended metaphors, which might be why I'm not drooling over it. I like the music on this one, and it's got a pretty good solo. The abrupt intro isn't necessary, though. I feel like this could be a good single, and I hope they break it out live at some point. I just have a feeling that it'd be either really great live, or really bad. 7/10

5. Amen
Meh. It's OK. I'm just not the biggest fan of this type of music. It's kinda boring, and I wouldn't necessarily want to hear it at a concert I'm attending. The only thing that grasps me is the big "Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeen" note. Not a good idea for a second single (not that singles matter for this band anymore anyway). 4.5/10

6. That's What the Water Made Me
Now here's some more good stuff. This was my favorite from those first promo shows, and has stayed my favorite since. It's easily the best live track on the album, and I like the studio version even more. It's a simple, straightforward pop-rock song, and that's part of its charm. I like the solo on this one, and I feel like they have fun playing it. Tied for the best one on the album, and I can see myself listening to it regularly for years to come. 8.5/10

7. What's Left of Me
This is a good track. If Jon is going to write a song about the working man, this is how he should do it (NOT like Work for the Working Man or What About Now). It's got a good vibe. It does indeed sound like Lost Highway and Saturday Night had a love child, and that may be why I like it. I wish it would stick around in the sets, even if it goes down like a lead balloon. 7.5/10

8. Army of One
Now this one is bad. And it's 100% because of the chorus. I like the music, and the verses are passable. It's also got a good pair of Richie solos. But my God, that chorus is horrendous! I'd take a million "alrights" over this "never give up" garbage. I am glad it's gone from the sets. 2/10

9. Thick as Thieves
I like it. It does sound a bit like Right Side of Wrong, but I like that song, too. Nothing spectacular, but it's a much better slow song than Amen is. It's definitely a grower, and I certainly wouldn't skip it on the album. I like the solo, and I actually like the "electric chair" bit. 6.5/10

10. Beautiful World
Here's another good one. There's only two things I really dislike about it, and that is the same chord progression AGAIN and the "cat in a tree" lyric. Otherwise, it's got a good vibe and I hope it gets brought out live. Maybe it could even be a good single, who knows? 7.5/10

11. Room at the End of the World
What About Now's hidden gem is this track. Many don't like it, but I think it's gorgeous. The lyrics aren't pure poetry, but they don't need to be with this song. It's a bit mysterious, and quite atmospheric, but I really really really like this one. They should've axed The Fighter and left this as the last song on the album. If a gun was put to my head, I'd have to give it the edge over I'm With You and Water, but as of now, it's the other part of the three-way tie for the best on the album. 8.5/10

12. The Fighter
Boring. Boring boring boring boring boring. I want a good, fun rocker to close out the album, like Little Bit of Soul, One Wild Night, Story of My Life, or even I Love This Town. NOT a lame acoustic number. It's not that bad, it's just so dull and it sounds like it should be a forgotten demo, yet it made it onto the official album. 3/10

13. With These Two Hands
This one is alright. I don't really have much else to say about it. It should've been on the album over Army of One, I guess. It's a decent rocker, but it just doesn't have much of an effect on me, positive or negative. 5/10

14. Into the Echo
I like this one more than others seem to. The echo echo echo thing is a bit grating, but I think it would've been a much better album closer than The Fighter. It sounds like a song that Jon would enjoy doing live, so I'm surprised that it isn't on the official album. Decent solo, too. 6/10

When I average out the ratings I gave it, it comes out to roughly a 6/10. When all is said and done, that sounds about right. The main problem I have with this album is that when it's good, it's really good, but when it's bad, it's really bad. The consistency is lacking. On top of that, there are some mediocre lyrics and some crummy production. But I do like this album better than the last two. I just hope it doesn't wear off as quickly as The Circle did.

Overall, What About Now is a decent record. It's slightly underwhelming, but I take it for what it is and it is still an enjoyable album to listen to.

Highlights:
I'm With You
That's What the Water Made Me
Room at the End of the World
Beautiful World

Lowlights:
Army of One
The Fighter
Amen

Last edited by TwinFan; 03-19-2013 at 07:42 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Jovi Geek

Glad to see someone else appreciates Room At The End Of The World. I don't share your disdain for The Fighter, I love that song and don't need a closer to rock. I also, love Into The Echo. Thank you for sharing your review.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Price of posting

As on the Fighter thread - It the most boring song they have done along with Old Habits and Not Running.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Jovi Freak

"What's Left Of Me"....

So many people like it where as I tend to skip it a lot.

In hindsight it's not a bad song - it really does sound like Saturday Night and Lost Highway mixed. I think that's the problem actually - it sounds like we've heard it before many times. Had it been on Lost Highway album I think it would've been one of the stand out tracks because that was the style of the album. On here though it just feels lost, out of place and old.

Perth - January 25, 2008
Perth - December 8, 2010
Sydney - December 17, 2010
Sydney - December 19, 2010 (I Believe!!!)

East Rutherford - July 25, 2013
Melbourne - December 7, 2013
Melbourne - December 8, 2013
Perth - December 12, 2013

Sydney - December 8, 2018
Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Jovi FANatic

Interesting, thoughtful review TwinFan. I thought Room At The End of The World was nice, but nothing special. Off for another listen . . .
Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 AM
Just posting

I love reading reviews in general. Each time a cd is out people make lists and talk about how they feel, and it is very interesting to see the differences or the similarities.... At the end of the day it changes nothing though. Some will feel the same way as myself and some will feel totally different.... But I liked how you perceived the album... I am close to your review I agree with 2 or your 3 highlights and I agree with 2 of your 3 lowlights ..... I feel different about Army of One and Room at the End of the World
Old 03-20-2013, 03:31 AM
Keep the Faith

Every time i listen to Room At The End Of The World i like it more and more and I already loved it on my first listen. It might be my favorite track on the album.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 AM
Banned User
Undiscovered Posts

Perfect. I feel the same way.