View Single Post

Old 10-23-2020, 04:07 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
He took a really interesting approach in Lower the Flag. I'd like to know what subject matter turned the other side off. Blood in the Water maybe, but if you don't look into the references of what he's talking about it's pretty neutral. Do What You Can glorifies doing what you can to get through things, so same as always, while name dropping the pandemic.

What do you think is making the opposite side squeamish?
I don't think it's necessarily an issue of "sides", per se. I think, if anything, it's more about people just being sick of hearing it, seeing it, reading it, and living it every f'n day, 24/7. My twitter has been completely taken over; you can't turn on the news and hear about anything that isn't being politicized, I get forty-leven texts and phone calls a day telling me to vote for..., or wanting me to take a poll, my mailbox is so stuffed with political garbage it's hard to get to any regular mail...

I'm just so over this year in general and I don't want my go-to escape to be filled with more of the same white noise.

The Southerner in me objected to him calling out Alabama as if the only place prejudice and hypocrisy occurs is south of the Mason-Dixon; but that's not a new bias and certainly not one that's Jon-specific. No one's surprised that Jon's a liberal Democrat because he's never made a secret of that. It's common knowledge.

I don't have a political side; and I don't care what position Jon takes because he's got every right to express his opinion however he chooses. If I were going to boycott an album over any objection, it would have been because of the way he continues to trash a former acquaintance long past time for him to STFU about it, which I would find offensive regardless of who the acquaintance is. But if that were the case, I wouldn't have bought 3 copies of THINFS. I will eventually order the Japanese version for Luv Can to support the band.

But that said, Luv Can, Beautiful Drug, and Limitless are probably the only songs from the album that I'll ever intentionally listen to again. I'm not crazy about Shine and on the others, I'm just done with the content - from either side of the aisle. Despite family birthdays and the coming holidays, I have only two red letter days on my calendar: November 4, 2020 and January 1, 2021. Just so I can say , "adios, auf wiedersehen, farewell, adieu, good night, guten abend" b'bye.