Thread: Doctor Who
View Single Post

Old 04-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Friends will be friends
Bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
As for other shows with better SFX, any US series you want, in particular Stargate Atlantis. That's a cable US sci-fi series so obviously doesn't have LOST size budgets but the VisFX and SFX are literally second to none on television and are easily on a par with what you see in the movies (download episode 3x20 to see what I mean). Now granted it's a VERY different show but the difference in quality is enormous. Just out of curiosity, do you know what sort of budget an episode of Dr. Who has? I think an episode of Atlantis costs about $1.5-2 million an episode so it would be interesting to compare budgets.
Well if you compare it to the big American programmes of course they don't have the same sort of budget. They are made by the BBC, who generate money from license fees in a relatively small country, not advertising revenues in America, which is a much larger country (about 5x bigger, population-wise I think). Try to find any other UK show like it in terms of scale.

Have you tried watching the spinoff, Torchwood? That will be coming back for a second series later in the year, and though I like Doctor Who I think it is generally a more interesting programme.