View Single Post

Old 12-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
DailyMail.co.uk: Several more women who claim to have been sexually assaulted by comedy legend Bill Cosby have come forward sparking a 'definitive open investigation' by the Los Angeles Police Department...(I)t is believed...the latest...allegations...(could) be prosecuted if enough evidence is found...

The LAPD plans to search Hugh Hefner's famous Playboy mansion as part of their investigation. Police are hoping Hugh Hefner, long a dear friend of the embattled 77-year-old comic, and his people will be of some help as they seek to gather evidence in several cases which are linked to the Playboy mansion.
This is turning into a Naked Gun movie with a guest appearance by the Keystone Kops. I'm sure the folks at the Playboy mansion appreciate the tipoff that it's about to be searched by the police, and I'm sure they'll clean it from top to bottom since they know now that they're going to have guests -- and just in time for the holidays!

But what does up-and-coming comedian Hannibal Buress have to say about the firestorm he sparked by describing comedian icon Bill Cosby as a rapist? According to CBS News.com:
Quote:
Buress told...The Howard Stern Show...."I've been doing the bit on and off for six months...It wasn't my intention to make it part of a big discussion...It was just something I was doing at that venue right there. So for someone to put it to the media, it's crazy...I said it and I gotta stand on it, but it is an interesting situation."

Burress actually respects Cosby's work, praising the star in a 2013 Gentlemen's Quarterly magazine interview. "(His) stuff holds up...All of it is evergreen. He talks about asking somebody, 'Why do you do cocaine?' 'Because it intensifies your personality.' Cosby says, 'What if you're an asshole?' I think it's the only time he curses...If I had to do an hour clean now, I don't know how I'd pull it off."
There's a very old saying that a lie can travel around the world while the truth is still putting its boots on. But Buress didn't tell a lie, he told a joke. Surely he can't be blamed for someone else putting his joke online, and he's certainly not responsible for other people using his jokes as "inspiration" for making public accusations against Cosby (true or not).

Suppose Buress had called Cosby a "skirt chaser" or a "sex addict" instead of a rapist? Well, a Google search of "Hannibal Buress" yields 532,000 results; "Bill Cosby Rape," 51,600,000 results; "Bill Cosby Skirt Chaser," 3,140,000 results; "Bill Cosby sex addict," 2,250,000 results. Would somebody have decided it merited filming and uploading? If so, would somebody else have a) decided that she couldn't remain silent about her experiences with Cosby any longer or b) saw it as a perfect opportunity get either revenge or cash? And most important of all, would the joke have been as funny?

Buress has overturned Bill Cosby's world while the truth is still looking for its boots -- and perhaps overturned his own world as well. He'd better hope that Cosby doesn't develop an "interest" in suing him for defamation. Skirt chasing is a bad habit and sex addiction is an illness, but rape is a CRIME -- a crime that Cosby has NOT been convicted of. And like I said, if concert venues start banning mobile devices from now on, you won't have to wonder why.

There's another very old saying about the road to hell being paved with good intentions...

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 12-19-2014 at 09:34 PM..