Thread: Alter Bridge
View Single Post

Old 09-11-2017, 08:12 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljovi93 View Post
Anyone listened to the new live album from the O2? Myles doesn't sound the same. His voice has changed so much and I'm really starting to find it hard to listen too. He still has tons of range and can still belt out a song but he's developed a really whiny voice over the past couple of years. It's a shame because I've always regarded him as the best current rock vocalist out there.

Constant touring with AB and Slash taking its toll maybe? He's barely had a break in god knows how long..

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
I haven't listened to the new live album yet, but anyone who's properly followed for years is aware of the change in his vocals. It has been changing since at least 2011. The Wembley concert already sounded very different from Amsterdam.

I'm no singer, nor coach, but it seems to me that it's a technique change done on purpose by Myles, rather than actual decline of his voice. Usually when singers decline, they start gradually losing their higher register, but still sound the same on the easier songs. That's not the case with Myles at all, he can still go as high as he ever could. From what I can hear he is singing with less "chest" and with more of a "mixed" (head + chest) voice lately. It's probably to protect the voice, which is understandable given how demanding his songs are and, as you said, how much he has toured in the past few years.

If you or anyone else wants to know what I mean by "mixed voice", check this version of Rocket Queen at the mark 15:50. It doesn't sound as powerful as full chest, but it's a good way to hit notes that are higher than your natural range. If anything, I wish Jon ever learned this trick, but that's a whole another story.
https://open.spotify.com/track/7ATc6qu85xQszcnUxfwwv7