Thread: Cheap Trick
View Single Post

Old 10-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Dry County

Jeezus - where to start? Trick are absolutely, hugely, criminally underrated. World class songwriting and pretty much unbettered talent on every instrument.

Their most accessible, modern Classic Rock can be found on the '97 album Cheap Trick. Probably the best for Jovi fans - a real punch, real clean melody lines and just enough darkness to make things interesting. Amazon used & new will probably have this for $1.99. Eight Miles Low, Anytime and Yeah Yeah are all huuuuge songs!

All of their first three records are untouchable

Their darkest, most ****ed up "did he really say that?", off the wall, inventive menace of a record is the '77 album Cheap Trick. Pretty much perfect from start to finish, but may take a couple of listens for you to adjust your morals to.

In Colour is pure pop - shimmering choruses, endless hooks and 10 classic songs, most obviously IWYTWM. If you are more of a rock fan though, may not be the one to check out first - really clean, crisp production.

Heaven Tonight - Possibly my favourite - It's your makebelieve high school prom, a little rebellion and a broken heart. Great Mix of the styles of the previous two records, and obviously, Surrender.

Plenty of other LPs are worth checking out (trust me - you will get addicted!)

But before you get these run out and buy both albums by Jellyfish!!!!!

Lap of Luxury is a little too synth heavy and drenched in 80s for my taste, but it still does feature the Flame and All We Need is a Dream (awesome song!!!). Dream Police is probably only just below the standards of the first three albums - the band comfortable and starting to experiment a little, but not quite the classic songwriting you came to expect by then (title track, Voices & Need Your Love excluded!). Both the two most recent LPs are decent, with probably stronger songwriting on Rockford, if a little less variety than the band at their best.

Live Albums - Budokan for the classic sound, Budokan 2 I like just as well, though - more of the humour on display and a louder production with a little more kick. Silver is probably one to save for later - a bit too heavy on the ballads.

Obviously that leaves a few left from the bands wilderness years, where they just seemed a little flimsier. Every record has at least a couple of stand-out tunes, but I'd leave these till last.

ALSO - Trick have been one of the friendlier bands to tapers. Theres a lot of good bootleg stuff out there, including a good few soundboards. Sign up to DimeaDozen and you will find two or three shows well worth the download. If you are unable, PM me and I'll burn some off for you (you may have to be a little bit patient, but it shouldn't take too long!)

Infact - anyone with some good Trick stuff want to trade?