Thread: Christmas songs
View Single Post

Old 12-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
I think it's by a group called New Song. The voice of the song is singing about last minute shopping and this kid coming into a shoe store to buy shoes for his dying mommy so she can be "beautiful" when she meets Jesus. And he doesn't have enough money, so the guy comes to the rescue and buys the shoes. It's like saying, "Am I great or what? I bought the kid the shoes! Yea me!"

Okay, this is supposed to be a Christian band--so why are they not telling the kid that Jesus is supposed to love everyone no matter what they look like; that theologically speaking, your clothes don't make it to heaven? Jesus isn't as shallow as the person who wrote that song.
I don't think that's the point of the song... Jesus loves everyone no matter how you look like, but it is very thoughtful for the child to buy something nice for her mommy. A child, is supposedly innocent and not so well-informed about how Jesus loves everyone. The child is just being sweet to her mommy. And I think the guy who bought her shoes, the song is trying to say that there's no point being pissed off at Christmas shopping, it is not the point of Christmas. Giving happiness to others is more important. The song doesn't paint the guy as a hero whatsoever. At least not the way I see it.

To me the song is not arrogant or self-righteous, it is more like, disturbing/depressing. This would be one of the last songs I'd like to hear during Christmas because it makes me want to slit my wrists.