View Single Post

Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie79 View Post
i actually like the new 3 songs especially Undefeated and Kings Of The New World. they sound current while the band still stays true to their sound. they can't really release High'n'Dry in 2011 or be stuck in the 80's if they want to attract a new younger audience. which i'm not sure that's what they are aiming for if they played Sugar...

this is what i don't get. Slang is such a defining moment in their career, an album that shows their versatility as songwritters and if nothing else it would be interesting to include a song from an album that represented a change in their sound. they are my 2nd favourite band after Bon Jovi so i'm a big fan of the classic albums. But i consider Slang their masterpiece if there is to be one. i remember all the fuss surrounding its release and how long it took me to get into it. 6 months or more on a shelf getting dusty cause i hated it upon first listen. but when i picked it up again, i never looked back. i truly think it's one of their best albums and it's a shame there isn't a single song off of it.

that said it doesn't bother me much, i'm not a fan of live albums. the only live album i listen to on a regular basis is Whitesnake's "Starkers in Tokyo" and i love it probably because it's an acoustic one.
I wonder if they are truly clear on what happens when they do an appearance like that and they play "Sugar?" All it does is underwhelm their fans and solidify the idea that Def Leppard are firmly cemented as an 80's hair band with everyone else. It's one thing to play it as part of a live show, but the effect is very different when it's the only song on a broadcast like that.

They played Lopez Tonight last night. I have yet to watch it, but I know they played Rock of Ages. That is probably just as bad as "Sugar" though I'd pick it over the latter. It's not that I hate either song, the life has been sucked out of them due to overplay. However, they should be choosing a song that lyrically can appeal to today and not make them look like old men living in the past. It's no different than playing "Wasted," and they avoid that one for that exact reason.. it doesn't represent them at all anymore.

If I had to pick one of the old staples, I'd probably go with Photograph or Foolin' because they both hold up lyrically today and are more timeless.

I loved Slang right off. It was actually exactly what I was hoping from them... something fresh that demonstrated their maturity and abilities as a band. The title track was really the only one they would even consider putting on the live album and they couldn't even do that. In another dimension, Adrenalize never saw the light of day, Desert Song was the first single on their come-back post-Steve and prevented their being permanently associated with a trend, and Slang was a critical success.

Starkers is great, btw. I went through a heavy Whitesnake re-discovery period in the late 90's and that album was part of it along with the back catalog prior to Slide It In. The perfect antidote after the horrible Slip of the Tongue period.