View Single Post

Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist View Post
I wonder if they are truly clear on what happens when they do an appearance like that and they play "Sugar?" All it does is underwhelm their fans and solidify the idea that Def Leppard are firmly cemented as an 80's hair band with everyone else. It's one thing to play it as part of a live show, but the effect is very different when it's the only song on a broadcast like that.
i totally agree. and then they wonder why most people still think of them as a cheesy 80's hair band. which is not really fair to them but it's not like they're doing much to change people's minds about that either. they have been releasing new material, not very regularly that's true, but some of it it's pretty good, they don't need to keep hanging on to their past successes to promote a new tour. even though Sparkle isn't all that sparkly, there are a couple of great songs there, especially Go. i reckon it should have been a single.

there are 21 songs on Mirrorball and only 4 are post-1992. and one of them is a cover. they release 3 new songs however they choose to play Rock Of Ages, Hysteria and Sugar on shows like Leno and Lopez Tonight. that would be fine if they played some other more recent song, but not okay if one song is all they get. that's pretty much like saying "we wrote new songs, they're not that good, but we used to rock 25 years ago so come see us!" they are basically labelling themselves as a nostalgia act and that seems to be intentional.

Quote:
If I had to pick one of the old staples, I'd probably go with Photograph or Foolin' because they both hold up lyrically today and are more timeless.
i see your point and they are two of my favourite songs, but i wouldn't play any pre-1999 material to promote a new tour, again if they are to play just one song. that's still saying they're stuck in 1983.

Quote:
The title track was really the only one they would even consider putting on the live album and they couldn't even do that.
in a way i'm glad they didn't, it's probably the only song off of Slang i honestly don't like. it's so different from the rest it almost feels like it made it to the album by accident

Quote:
Starkers is great, btw. I went through a heavy Whitesnake re-discovery period in the late 90's and that album was part of it along with the back catalog prior to Slide It In. The perfect antidote after the horrible Slip of the Tongue period.
i love Starkers' simplicity, even though i've heard a lot of people complain it sounds too empty, i think it's just beautiful. that's how an unplugged album usually sounds like, init Coverdale's voice is amazing and the production is great as well. i love Steve Vai so i like the Slip Of The Tongue period. Judgement Day and Sailing Ships are great songs i reckon.