View Single Post

Old 03-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Tokyo Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticos_stick View Post
Mine's the same except I'd swap One By One for TINLTL. TINLTL was for me the last natural sounding free flowing album, can't agree with the filler comment either.

One By One is s strange album, it spawned two of the bands biggest hits (All my life, Times like these) but the rest of the album is pretty turgid. Taylor Hawkins hated so much he threatened to leave the band, Grohl later admitted he dislikes the album and said it was rush released.
The band have a bit of an odd sense of their own material. One By One has great album tracks as well, Come Back is one of their best songs IMO, Disenchanted Lullaby and Tired Of You are also great, and songs like Halo and Overdrive are among the better of their filler tracks. The whole album is dark, heavy and alternative - so much so that it almost works as a double release along with Songs For The Deaf by Queens Of The Stone Age from the same year.

TINLTL is just a fairly decent pop album to me. Stacked Actors and Generator are great; Aurora, Gimme Stitches and MIA are good album tracks; and Learn To Fly and Breakout are decent (if a tad overrated) singles, but the rest are nothing really to write home about.

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!