Thread: Ghost
View Single Post

Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 PM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to Emil
Default Ghost

Anybody heard of the Swedish band Ghost? They're the biggest rock hype around here in a long, long, long time. It's almost credible to like them now; even the full-blown indie pop hipsters are joining the brigade. Crazy. And a lot of big rock personalities, like James Hetfield (who's been wearing Ghost shirts during interviews), Phil Anselmo and Duff McKagan, are huge fans.

Their image is pure genius, obviously. The members are totally anonymous and wear costumes on stage – the singer being something so spectacular as a satanic pope named Papa Emeritus I. The lyrics are devil-worshipping as well. I think the entire concept is mildly humorous, but still executed with dead seriousness.

They've released one album so far, Opus Eponymous. The music is very unique, almost like a mix between dark and occult atmospheres, reminiscent of Mercyful Fate and Roky Erickson, and the sweetest, most delicious pop melodies. It certainly doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before – hence the incredible success, I suppose. It's ****ing good though. I guess it's not for everybody, but if you like it, you'll probably love it as well. Give it a shot.

Stand By Him:
Ritual:
Elizabeth:
(And as a bonus feature – an incomparable cover of Here Comes The Sun: )