Thread: Jeff Beck!
View Single Post

Old 05-19-2004, 12:54 AM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

I agree with everything you've said apart from the "most inventive" thing. I read somewhere that he can play anything but struggles to compose his own stuff. Maybe this is true, or maybe it isn't, not 100% sure either way.

He definately is one of the best guitarists in the world. Blaze of Glory was nowhere near his best work. You only have to listen to some of the Yardbirds early songs, or Jon Mayall and the Blues Breakers when Beck played with them to realise that he is really something special. I have a 3 disc set, called "Beckology" which features some of this stuff.

He hasn't been heard of by many people because he made most of his money by playing session music for people like JBJ (BoG), or Michael Jackson (Billy Jean, for example). However he is known as the guitarists guitarist, which means he is very highly regarded by his peers, such as Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and other greats. He would make my top five I think.