Thread: John Mayer
View Single Post

Old 04-20-2017, 05:09 AM
These Days

Long time fan.

I love the new album. Still Feel Like Your Man and Moving On And Getting Over are instant classics. In The Blood is the track that I mostly listen to these days, so is Rosie.

I had almost given up on him after underwhelming Born And Raised (who had some good moments) and then the complete turd that was Paradise Valley, but this is a return to forum. Saw him live twice (2013 and 2014) and was quite dissapointed in the setlists that were very heavily focused on these two albums and not enough hits, but he corrected that in the 2017 tour - it's a shame I won't be able to see him.

Although, since this is a Bon Jovi forum and we're routinely harsh on Jon's voice, we have to acknowledge the fact that Mayer has completely lost his upper register he used to have back in mid-to-late 2000s and cannot properly sing stuff like Waiting On The World To Change, Bold As Love and a few others. It's obviously not as bad as Jon (since Mayer, unlike Jon, never had much range, so his songs are much easier to sing), but the vocal nerd in me is still disappointed that he never fully recovered from those 2011-2012 vocal issues. If you watch the Where The Light Is DVD that's a confident singer with a distinct youthful tone; nowadays, a lot less so.

Last edited by Walleris; 04-20-2017 at 05:16 AM..