View Single Post

Old 06-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Jovi Addict

Send a message via AIM to JJx23

I purchased Journey's new album "Revelation" and I must say that being a hardcore Journey fan, I really do enjoy listening to Arnel Pineda. I am a professional writer, so I tend to review upcoming albums that are due to be really hot, etc. I have yet to review it but plan on it shortly.

Journey is a band, and even though there were people who only went to Journey concerts to see Perry, I think it should be noted that many bands have changed over the years. The classics belong to the Journey franchise, and surely when we all listen to them, we hear Steve Perry's voice singing them, but Journey moved on and they found someone who isn't trying to be like Perry (arguable?), and he even stated that in numerous press conferences, etc. Although I have to say that anyone listening to Arnel Pineda can vouch with me that he is trying his best to sound like Perry because Neal Schon said they wanted to return to their original sound- which was what? Steve Perry in a nutshell.

Now I am not saying that Pineda is going to live in Perry's shadow... Okay I am a little bit, but any singer taking on the lead role of the band that Perry pretty much lead to stardom is going to have to feel a little bit of pressure due to Perry's legacy- it's just the way it is unfortunately. I am a Journey fan, and when I go to a Journey concert, I go to see the entire band, not just the lead singer. It's great that Schon and the band found a lead singer that sounds a lot like Perry, but they are obviously going to try and be exactly how they were back in the 70s and 80s. If you think about it, Neal is sitting on top of a goldmine right now, and when I zoom in closely on Neal on stage, I can see it in his eyes, he puts a lot more into his performances than he did when Soto was the lead singer.

The "classics" album was redone very well, although I thought they could have waited a bit longer. Even the best technology could not mask Arnel's accent totally, which is not that big of a problem anyway seeing that his accent will gradually change as he hangs around people who speak English. I don't mind his accent, but you can definitely hear it in the songs he sings. Some people were upset at the fact that many of the hits were redone, simply because the one and only Perry made them what they were, which is totally true. I am 50/50 in that argument as the album is nowhere near the quality of the original, but it's good enough to listen to. Perhaps they could have just left this untouched? Comments anyone? Please.

Now onto the new album. I think it's great. I have no complaints what-so-ever regarding the new album. I have been over-playing the album and the two songs that stand out most to me are "Never Walk Away" and "After All These Years", but there really isn't a bad track on the album in my opinion. Seeing that it did very well it's first week, I think it's going to continue to do well. Great job by Journey and Arnel for his sensational vocals and the band's superb work.

As for the DVD- it was totally rushed. I DEFINITELY think this should have been filmed at another time. Arnel just began taking on the lead role of Journey and he is performing a 15 + song setlist in front of a large crowd that is being filmed to be recorded onto a DVD? Even though he did a stunning job, I couldn't understand a lot of the songs due to his accent. If the DVD waited a few months, Arnel's accent would be a lot better, therefore making the DVD a lot better. I hope they make another DVD, because all of the other DVDs: 1.) came in a better case and 2.) weren't rushed like this one- at least I don't recall any other ones being rushed. When Journey filmed their DVD with Augeri on lead vocals, it was spectacular. I like that one 100 x better than the recent one.

Let's not rush this Journey, you guys aren't that old, and it's quite obvious that you don't have much patience. Just relax and enjoy the gift of Arnel Pineda, because you certainly lucked out, that's for sure. I can't wait until you come to Jersey, because I will be attending the PNC show, and I will be up front- so put on a great performance! =)

Regards,

Jason F.

Last edited by JJx23; 06-15-2008 at 12:10 PM..