View Single Post

Old 01-09-2019, 10:20 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

I think I've watched a Coldplay show in VR about a year ago when I received my VR glasses. Although I agree with you by saying it's a way to experience a live show I think soundwise there's a lot that has to change.

Most official releases stemming from live shows don't actually sound live at all with crowd noise mixed to the background and a completely different mix when it comes to instruments and vocals. This results in a rather alienated experience as opposed to being part of it. It's why most good audience recordings often capture the atmosphere and entire show better than the official live releases of the same show. I've loads of official live albums from several artists but only a few sound like an actual live concert. I still prefer Bon Jovi in Osaka 1995 over any official live release from the same tour.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
That Coldplay show never did surface in full length. It was only ever used as a showcase for early adopters.

As for the sound issue, that is very much an individual thing. I certainly have come to appreciate audience based recordings in the last one or two decades where I previously absolutely hated them for their horrible quality. Otherwise, I think the majority prefer a professionally recorded live show over an audience recording. The issue comes up when dealing with dry soundboard recordings with a horrible mix. That I agree on.

I actually quite enjoy the sound of the KISS show in MelodyVR, and I haven't much enjoyed the professionally filmed shows in recent years. Unlike with those, this is more like going to the actual show in terms of enjoyment, as is often argued on these boards where everyone not in attendance is savaging it based on the stream and those that were actually there were having a great time.