Thread: Mr. Big
View Single Post

Old 05-19-2003, 11:46 AM
It's all about the music
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo
Laura, you would have to easily be the biggest Mr Big fan I've ever heard of. Where did this inspiration come from?
Their music.

I'm the only person I know who after hearing To be with you got the album. Actually if was the first ever cd I had, and my dad bought it for me for Christmas 92.

The first time I put it on the cd player, and heard the amazing opening, with Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan playing their guitars (I don't really know what Billy was doing playing the guitar since he is the bassist... maybe that's what bassists do sometimes, I don't know) with Makita cordless drills in harmony, it just sent shivers down my spine! And the way that builds into Daddy, Lover... is just amazing! And the rest of the album (Lean into it) is equally powerful.

I've liked them ever since, but kinda forgot about them in all my Jovi addiction, but recently I've started listening to them again and it's just amazing!!! Eric Martin (the singer) has a great voice (Tom, it reminds me of your voice a little bit ), Paul Gilbert is of course a great guitarist, Billy a good bassist, altho my hero of the band was always Pat Torpey, the drummer. His percussion on To be with you... *sigh*

Mr. Big plays the sort of music I wish BJ today would play... Strong, powerful guitar rock, with great melody, solos, singing, lyrics... All of the players in the band get their solos, and they are very varied imo. They have some great ideas, and great music.

I think, Chris and Tom, you will at least have an idea of what I'm talking about after the cds arrive... I advice you both to listen to Lean into it first, followed by Bump ahead. There are no songs on either of the albums that I don't like, none. It's all so great...

Bah. Sorry, I'm raving. And I've said it over and over, I don't know one single thing about music or music playing, I just know what I like and don't like.

And Tom, I'm glad you like Green-tinted... cause it's one of my favourite Mr. Big songs, absolutely. But I'm sure you'll find that they have even better songs than that.