View Single Post

Old 07-11-2005, 11:23 AM
These Days

Default Queen + Paul Rodgers review... (+ pics)

... sort of

There's something about seeing legends on stage that I quite enjoy; especially when these legends are some of my long time favourites when it comes to music! I've never had the change to see Brian May & Roger Taylor somewhere on stage, let alone Queen when Freddie was still around. But yesterday it finally was my time . In Gelredome stadium ( which hardly is a 'real' stadium anymore with the roof closed and big curtains excluding half of the seating places / field) in Arnhem, Holland!

We were stood second row halfway the catwalk. Quite a nice spot. We had a good view on both the main stage and the catwalk.

The setlist apparently is anything but original. They play more or less the same songs everynight. But I don't care at all! And it seems noone does really. Everyone seems to be happy enough with beeing able to see these guys on stage and hear those songs. They played mainly the big hits, songs everyone in the world knows, even non-Queen fans . But also a few Paul Rodgers / Free / Bad Company songs (ie Wishing Well; picked up quite good by the audience).

My personal highlights were 39 (Brian May alone... oh how I dig this song!), I Want It All, The Show Must Go On. The "ready Freddie" bit in Crazy Little Thing Called Love ... Love Of My Life, performed just by Brian May; the complete silence of the audience when there was nothing to sing, wow . Actually, the whole night was one big highlight .

Bo Rhap was a real tribute to Freddie. The song starts with Freddie on vocals, with footage from a live show from back in the days. The band joins in later into the song. It was as if Freddie was there all the time, which made it really cool.

I really liked the way Paul Rodgers performed. He kinda turned the songs into his own, with a couple of little changes. He never tried to be Freddie, which I think is a good thing. Noone can even come close anyway . Also sometimes he sort of disappeared into the background to focus on Brian May and Roger Taylor. I think most people in the audience are there for Brian May & Roger Taylor and not necissarily for Paul Rodgers. I think it was a good thing he did!

Anyway, a lot of respect to the band that performed yesterday. If you've got a possibillity to go to a Queen + Paul Rodgers show; don't hesitate. It'll be worth it every single second!

And now the pics...

Roger Taylor performing Say It's Not True. Note the screen with the lyrics the guys apparently didn't know all the lyrics by heart!

Brian May on 39

Brian May in front of the big screen going wild on Brighton Rock guitar solo

Bo Rhap with Freddie Mercury on vocals