View Single Post

Old 11-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to Mr Bluesman

Had the cd since Friday, so I've had a good few listens through. First thought was, 'I prefer Mezmerize' but, a couple of listens later I finally 'got it'.

My fears were that this era wasn't going to have much in the way of structure. The band were simply going to throw 20ish good songs together to keep us happy, and the idea of making it a two part thing was simply to keep us hooked and waiting for the next part. I stand corrected. Where the Soldier Side intro opened Mezmerize, it didn't seem to serve any purpose at all, apart from being a skip track. Listening to Hypnotize and I finally realise... Soldier Side has to be the best way to finish the concept as a whole. What an awesome ending! Feeling? Passion? Emotion? This song is all that, it brings the two albums to a magnificent end. It's hard to decribe in words how this song made me feel, and how amazed I was when I heard it. My point is, I knew SOAD were a good band, they have the ability to write and record great songs, but this confirmed for me that they should go down as a legendry band. They clearly know what they're doing.

So, I've jabbered on about that one song but what does the album have to offer before you reach the grand finale? You have everthing from the loud (Attack), the crazy (Vicinity of Obscenity) and the gloomy (Lonely Day). Hypnotize does everything a good System Of A Down album should do, well. Bring it together with it's associate and you have the best musical concept you will hear from a modern rock band.