Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Does lip synching bother you?

Other Bands

Old 03-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Just posting

Default Does lip synching bother you?

So, on this other message board I read, there's a thread about Britney Spears and how she doesn't sing one word live at her concerts. I'm amazed at the amount of people saying they don't care, as they're their to see her dance and perform.

I don't get that crap. How in the hell could you pay money to go to a concert, and not care that the artist wasn't even singing?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Keep the Faith

Send a message via MSN to JerseyboyUK

I hate that people spend so much money paying over-the-odds to see the likes of Britney Spears mime. I really don't get it.

But then, take the forthcoming Michael Jackson residency, which admittedly leads me to question my own stance on miming.
If he came and played live and i didn't attend because i thought he'd be lip-synching, I'd be kicking myself for not going!!
But no matter how much of a pop icon he is, chances are that it'll just be way too expensive to take a gamble on 'will he play live?'. You get me?

People say they want to see Britney dance along (to what is essentially just the CD playing!) etc and just see 'the show', but surely if the artist isn't singing live then they might as well not be there at all??
What will the next step be? That the artist isn't actually there at all? Imagine the same show, all the lights, video screens, dancers, elaborate stage, but no Britney. Just her voice and maybe a video of her dancing along on screen.

It's really not that far-fetched, and people would still pay silly money to see it unfortunatly.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Jovi Freak

Each to their own but I don't get it either. I mean, I realise the importance of the spectacle in that type of show especially, and I'm not playing down the talents of dancers/choreographers, but it's a CONCERT. If all you want is the CD track and some dancing and costume, wouldn't it make more sense to stay at home and watch a video?
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne - 8 December 2013
Perth Arena, Perth - 12 December 2013
Arena Joondalup, Perth (Soundwave) - 3 March 2014
ANZ Stadium, Sydney - 8 December 2018

Blame It On The Love...
Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Tokyo Road

I'm almost positive a Britney fan is going to have a far different view on it to most of us, so you're comparing apples and oranges anyway really.

I guess going to see an artist like that is somewhat like going to see a musical ... I know that musicals are generally sung live (at least, I hope so, otherwise some of my illusions are going to be shattered!), but that's not really whats important, it's the whole production.

Also, I've heard people say that for pop artists who have dance routines, they wouldn't like the singing to be all breathless as a result of dancing too. Different strokes I guess

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Something for the Posts

It really pisses me off when people lip synch, even on TV. In fact, on TV shows, I don't get why they can't just sing one ****ing song. Obviously at live gigs it's even worse. If you're not gonna sing don't tour.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Keep the Faith

Send a message via MSN to JerseyboyUK

I think with TV it's different. There might not be the space available for a full band, let alone the proper set-up and recording of a live performance, particularily where performances aren't really the main attraction (talk shows, GMTV style breakfast shows).
Even music shows. I read an interview with Charlie Simpson from Fightstar recalling his 'Busted' days, and saying how most of the time Top Of The Pops simply wasn't equipped for live performances and that miming was often the only option available.

Getting an artist to appear on a TV show in the first place is the big draw for producers, wether they are lip synching or not.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Something for the Posts

It's a bit stupid that music shows like Top Of The Pops haven't been set up for live peformance, though. Surely a show dedicated to people pretending to play live could go that little bit further and install a few amps?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

Well, I thought it was disgusting when she appeared on X-Factor and mimed - I mean, here you are with this rich mega-star sitting miming while ordinary folks are having to truly sing for their future - and even the good ones maybe not getting a shot.

Nah, don't understand lyp-synching at all. That's why I mainl
y listen to live music. If you can't do it live, what's the ****ing point? Go and get another job.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 PM
These Days

Lip syncing by good live bands and... good singers in general, bothers me.

Lip syncing by Britney Spears and others like her, does not bother me. Especially when they do an Ashley Simpson and start a hoe-down.

Seriously though, if I paid $100 to see a band play live and they lip synced, I would be so f*ing peeved. It's just pointless.

Last edited by Grypweed; 03-05-2009 at 04:39 PM..
Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
I guess going to see an artist like that is somewhat like going to see a musical ... I know that musicals are generally sung live (at least, I hope so, otherwise some of my illusions are going to be shattered!), but that's not really whats important, it's the whole production.
Chorus parts are occassionally taped, but it's rare.

If a lead was unable to sing though, they'd just pull in an understudy. Would love to see that happen at a Britney concert - after all, it's the whole production that's important!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Also, I've heard people say that for pop artists who have dance routines, they wouldn't like the singing to be all breathless as a result of dancing too. Different strokes I guess
Nothing Andy Bell can't manage in a ridiculous cod piece.